Welcome to Box Office Poison!

Welcome! Why don't you slip out of that wet coat and into a dry martini?

I've been a fan of classic movies since high school, when I first saw Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's; when I first discovered Turner Classic Movies; when I first sat through Gone with the Wind...

If you forced me to pick my top three classic movies, it'd be no contest: It Happened One Night, Pillow Talk, and The Major and the Minor.

Over the years, my love of classic movies has grown and I've seen some wonderful movies, including every film that has ever won the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress (I only have a few left in the Best Supporting Actor category); the films on the AFI 100 lists; and movies that hold spots on those "1001 movies you must see before you die" lists.

All that to say, I've developed a strong taste for what I like. And here's what I like:

  • Audrey Hepburn (How to Steal a Million, Two for the Road, and Roman Holiday are my top three Audrey Hepburn films).
  • Doris Day (especially those zany comedies with plot lines like "romantic farce about a widowed public relations officer at a space plant who is suspected of being a spy" for The Glass Bottom Boat or "a man and a woman who share a party line cannot stand each other, but he has fun romancing her with his voice disguised" for Pillow Talk).
  • Ginger Rogers (to me, she's the every-woman of the '30s and '40s. Put on Vivacious Lady, The Major and the Minor, or any one of her films with Fred Astaire and I'm a happy person). 
  • Mid-century films where the colours are bright and the sets are big, like The Opposite Sex or Designing Woman.
  • Screwball comedies. Give me It Happened One Night, Bringing Up Baby, or Twentieth Century any day. 
  • Films with apartments I'd like to move into, like Rod Taylor's apartment in Sundays in New York or Holly Golightly's in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
  • Banter, like Hepburn and Tracy or Loy and Powell. 
  • Rock Hudson
  • Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward (separately. Together. Doesn't matter, I love them both). 
  • Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine
  • Bette Davis and Joan Crawford
  • Grace Kelly
via: Making Nice in the Midwest
So Box Office Poison will be my little slice of the internet to talk about classic films and anything that strikes my fancy.

I hope you enjoy! 

__ 

gif sources unknown

Comments