What I Watched in February

An overview of what I watched in February:

Tammy and the Bachelor (1957)

source unknown


I'll admit: I didn't know much about Debbie Reynolds's career aside from Singin' in the Rain and The Unsinkable Molly Brown or that she was the scorned woman in the Liz Taylor/Eddie Fisher love affair; but I've watched a few of her late '50s comedies over the past year and I love how well she plays fresh and "down home."

Not sure I'd want to live on a boat in the woods, but if I could wind up with Leslie Neilsen in a huge mansion with all those cool mid-century knick-knacks and bright wardrobe, it might not be so bad!

Any Wednesday (1966)


Mid-century sex comedies are usually pretty daring, and this one, about Jane Fonda and Jason Robbards as a couple who get together after he pursues her and buys her apartment to turn into an executive suite, is pretty risque, all things considered. Here's a great review of Any Wednesday.

I'm so fascinated by Jane Fonda's career trajectory and love the string of movies she made in the '60s, including this and Sunday in New York; I'd love to see more of her films.

It's a Great Feeling (1949)


That gif is part of a protracted montage where Doris Day tries to be alluring to a Hollywood executive so that he'll give her a contract, and it's hilarious. It's a Great Feeling is a 'behind the scenes' musical where Jack Carson and Dennis Morgan play themselves and try to get a film made. It's quite funny and features a bunch of big name cameos (including Joan Crawford, who only appears to smack Jack Carson clear across the face); but Doris Day was a definite highlight.

The Major and the Minor (1942)

source unknown

I honestly don't have the words to describe how much I loved The Major and the Minor, but I'm trying to find them for a future blog post. For those who don't know, this is a classic Ginger Rogers flick where she impersonates a 12-year-old so that she can get half-fare on the train; and Ray Milland plays a major who helps her out. I know it sounds skeevy but I promise, it's not!

Stay tuned for a full review of this movie!

Caged (1950)


Relatively tame, in this era of Orange is the New Black and other prison dramas, but from what I've read, this was a gritty, dramatic portrayal of women in prison for the time period. Mostly, I couldn't get over that Marie Allen (the main character, pictured above) is the Baroness from The Sound of Music. I kept trying to find similarities but I'm at a loss. She's quite a good actress, anyways.

I love that I keep seeing Agnes Moorehead pop up in different movies. I only ever knew her as Endora from Bewitched, but I like seeing her range. 

Bell, Book and Candle (1958)


There were so many weird rules for how witches work (like, they can't cry and they lose their powers when they're in love?) but I'm a sucker for a mid-century setting and this is a Technicolor dream. Plus, Jack Lemmon. And Jimmy Stewart.

Follow the Fleet (1936)

source unknown

In terms of Ginger and Fred pairings, not my favourite in terms of storyline, but I loved the dances!

The Thrill of It All (1963)

source unknown

Give me a kooky Doris Day comedy (like this one, where she gets in the television advertising business to promote Happy Soap) any day. I want to live in that house, too, by the way. I want to review this one more in depth, too, so look for that coming soon!

Andy Hardy's Double Life (1942)


I'll admit: I only watched this one because of Esther Williams, because I discovered Esther shortly before Christmas and now I'm on a quest to watch all of her films. I'm not much of a Mickey Rooney fan, and I haven't seen any other 'Hardy Family' movies, and I'm not sure I'd want to.

ALSO WATCHED:

The Tunnel of Love (1958)
The Big Hangover (1950)
Government Girl (1943)
An Innocent Affair (1948)
When Ladies Meet (1933)
Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953)
Hi Nellie! (1934)
Two Weeks in Another Town (1962)
Cheaper by the Dozen (1950)
20,000 Years in Sing Sing (1932)
The Constant Nymph (1942)
The Devil's Own (1966)
Blondes at Work (1938)

Comments