My Friend Audrey

Do we all grow up knowing who Audrey Hepburn is?

When I laid my fingers on a little black dress at Suzy Shier in 2005, I was looking for something to wear to my cousin's wedding that fall and said, "I'm going to wear this and look like Audrey Hepburn."

Which was an odd thing to say, considering I'd never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie at that point. I only knew her as the woman in the poster. You're picturing it now, aren't you? Beehive hair-do, black opera gloves, the largest diamond and pearl necklace you've ever seen, cigarette holder dangling out of her mouth out to here, and a cat perched on her shoulder.

Audrey Hepburn. Breakfast at Tiffany's. Holly Golightly. That was all I knew about her. A symbol of elegance and beauty, and I had no idea of the woman behind the Givenchy wardrobe.

I bought the little black dress, and when my cousin's wedding rolled around, I wore a sort-of beehive hair-do that, looking back, had clearly been inspired by Audrey Hepburn though I hadn't really thought about her since that stray comment months earlier.

That Christmas, I received a copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's from my aunt. I wore it out. Then I began a quest to find more Audrey Hepburn movies. Good luck pre-internet and living in a rural town that never hosted film screenings, but I managed to add Roman Holiday and My Fair Lady to my collection before I moved away for college.

I remember that first year of university, feeling so homesick I couldn't stand it, and the comfort watching Audrey Hepburn's movies brought me. When I walked into a now-closed convenience store on Barrington Street and spotted a copy of Funny Face for sale, I bought it immediately.

Another movie I loved immediately. In fact, I don't think there's an Audrey Hepburn movie that I dislike outright. Sure, there are some that I watched only once or twice and that was enough, but I usually find something to love in all of her films.

With every new film, my admiration grew. Sabrina? That gorgeous Givenchy wardrobe (I can forgive her for choosing the wrong Linus brother on the strength of that wardrobe). Charade? Deftly weaving through comedic and dramatic elements of the film. My Fair Lady? Her total commitment to the role. How to Steal a Million? Madcap perfection. Two for the Road? Heartbreakingly beautiful (it's my favourite Audrey Hepburn film).

To me, Audrey represents a time in my life I'll always be nostalgic for: those formative years where I was becoming the person I am today. That young, wide-eyed, little fish in a big pond who moved to the 'big city' and made something of herself.

She's been with me through the best moments and the saddest, when the only thing that brought me comfort was curling up in bed and watching one of her comedies. Now, whenever I put on one of her movies, it feels like saying hello to an old friend.

And I haven't even mentioned her humanitarian work. The way she prioritized her family and semi-retired from acting. How she refused to cave to the Hollywood lifestyle and based herself in Switzerland for most of her life. How she never thought herself beautiful or stylish, but became the beauty and style icon of the 20th century. 

Audrey Hepburn has remained an icon because of her effortlessness. The effortless way she acted on screen; the effortless way she cared off-screen. The effortless glamour and cool she exuded. The effortless beauty that shone inside and out.
source unknown

Happy Birthday, Audrey!

Comments

Post a Comment