A Month of Singers as Stars

Time to rock!

I quite enjoyed the 'Singers as Stars' theme for July's Star of the Month feature; it was quite widespread and allowed us to trace decades of singers who found success (some better than others) on the big screen. 

The Wiz (1978)

What a visual feast! I loved how it expanded the Wizard of Oz canon and made a new version of such a beloved story. The songs are catchy, the costuming is fantastic. I love all the hints and nods towards a real lived experience. It's also fun to watch movies starring actors/musicians who are on the cusp of blowing up. Like, would Michael Jackson have appeared in this post-Thriller? I love Diana Ross in this; she's so heartfelt. And Lena Horne! Such a great cameo appearance and such a great song! 

Immediately after finishing it, I read a few essays on its making, its themes and its stars, and I'd definitely recommend that you check out the Criterion release's essay: The Wiz: A Soulful Oz by Aisha Harris. 

A Hard Day's Night (1964)

via harrisonforded

I'm going to be honest: Beatlemania seems like a fever dream. (Spoken like someone with a glancing interest in The Beatles and doesn't know the deep cuts beyond what's featured on #1 or other greatest hits albums and who only has a favourite Beatle—George—because one of her favourite songs is 'My Sweet Lord'.) 

Is this a great movie or is it great because of The Beatles? I do love how unserious it was. And, of course, seeing them before everything else that came to pass. Weird to think that people watching this in theatres didn't have the context I do in 2026.

Anyway! Charming and fun but not something I need to rewatch again. 

A Star is Born (1976)

gif by me

I have hated every iteration of A Star is Born and this adds to that canon. Nothing against Babs or Kris Kristofferson or Lady Gaga, but it really didn't need further remakes beyond Judy's interpretation; and everything against Bradley Cooper, maybe the 2018 version will finally and truly be the end of it? Did it really add anything to the story to turn John Norman into Norman Maines, the alcoholic country singer? Honestly.

All of this to say, I will be sat in the theatre on opening night in 20-ish years when Sabrina Carpenter's heiress is ready to compete for an Best Original Song Oscar.

Here's what I did like about this version of A Star is Born: the '70s grittness, the originality of turning it into story set in the music industry, and Babs. Also: 'Evergreen' is a phenomenal song. Babs, you also deserved that Oscar!

Honeysuckle Rose (1980)

gif by me

Yawn. Baffling that this is 46 years old and Willie Nelson wasn't young in it, either. How old is he?!

[Post-Wikipedia Check: 93.]

One-Trick Pony (1980)

gif by me

Okay, sure. But can we talk about how Graceland is such a phenomenal album? I don't have strong opinions on Paul Simon in either direction but that is an album that, when I'm in the mood for it, I can listen to it with no skips. 

(I'm glad he stuck to music after this.)

Ruthless People (1986)

gif by me

This was hilarious! Bette Midler's talent on screen is not some hidden secret; she's such a captivating and commanding performer. I loved how funny Ruthless People was. Danny Devito had some great dry one-liners, and the way this story resolved itself makes it a must-watch!

Carnal Knowledge (1971)

gif by me

You know if I watched the Paul Simon feature I had to watch the Art Garfunkel one. Similarly, I don't have strong opinions either way on Art Garfunkel, but I do have fond memories of watching that episode of Arthur where he's a singing moose narrating Buster's return to Elwood City and have been known to bust out 'He's a sad, sad bunny/ a sad, sad bunny/ TV isn't funny when you're a sad, sad bunny' from time to time.

I think even without watching this because of this whole Star-of-the-Month thing I've had going on this year that I would've wanted to see it. I adore Ann-Margret and I'm a fan of Mike Nichols (and Jack Nicholson's here too but also someone who I appreciate but have no strong feelings for), so it's probably on the longlist of my watchlist. 

___

And there you have it!

August's Star of the Month: None! It's Summer Under the Stars month!

September's Star of the Month: Ricardo Montalban. 

Comments