What I Watched in April

An overview of what I watched in April. I think I was making up for the near dearth of movies I watched in March...
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972)


gif by me

If you told me a month ago that I'd willingly watch a '70s western that starred Paul Newman and featured a scene of him pushing a bear on a swing, I would have laughed in your face. 

Tammy and the Doctor (1963)


gif by me

I went into this movie with zero expectations, because Tammy and the Bachelor is one of my favourite movies and Tammy Tell Me True was awful, but I was pleasantly surprised at this. It's charming, light, and I can finally see why Sandra Dee took up Debbie Reynolds's mantle as Tammy Tyree. 

Back Street (1961)


So sumptuously melodramatic and gorgeously shot. 

Take Her, She's Mine (1963)


gif by me

I've enjoyed discovering Sandra Dee this year. 

Topper Takes a Trip (1938)


gif by me

I love the Topper movies. 

The Silencers (1966)

I was convinced I'd already seen this movie, about Dean Martin as a boozy photographer-cum-spy saving the world from a madman with a model-esque sidekick, which I have: Murderers' Rowbut it turns out that this is the original and Murderers' Row is a sequel. 

Funny how that worked out. 

Panic in Year Zero (1962)


gif by me

Middle aged Ray Milland? Still got it. 

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)


The Night of the Iguana (1964)


via tumblr, source unknown

Ava Gardner, Richard Burton and Deborah Kerr all made this movie magnetic. 

Two-Faced Woman (1941)

Charming, but both Garbo and Melvyn Douglas made better films. 

Claudelle Inglish (1961)


gif by me

This tried so hard to be something it wasn't, but I did appreciate seeing a bunch of television stars of the era in this movie. 

Call Me Madam (1953)

Gotta be honest, I didn't care too much for this one, but I loved Donald O'Connor. 

A Guy Named Joe (1943)


Oh, my heart! Spencer Tracy and Irene Dunne are perfect in their roles; and it's always a treat to see Esther Williams and Van Johnson. This movie will break your heart and then reform it. 

ALSO WATCHED

Riff Raff (1930) - Jean Harlow's debut!
Soft Drinks and Sweet Music (1934) - a Broadway Brevity short
Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962)*
I'll See You in My Dreams (1951)*
By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953)*
Love Me or Leave Me (1955)*
Young Man With a Horn (1950)*
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)*
The Daughter of Rosie O'Grady (1950)
Devotion (1946)
Joy in the Morning (1965) - I hated every stinking minute of this movie, but I was committed to finishing it because I had some hope for Yvette Mimieux. It was misplaced.
Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966)
Possessed (1947)
Texas Across the River (1966)
A Guide for the Married Man (1967)

*Read all the reviews of Doris Day movies, watched during her Star of the Month turn, here!

Comments