What I Watched in December

An overview of what I watched in December. 

Susan Slept Here (1954)


The plot has icked me out since I first read its description, and I'm not sure I ever overcame it like I managed to do with The Major and the Minor, but man, Dick Powell's apartment and Debbie Reynolds's charm. Look for a deep dive into Mark Christopher's apartment on the blog later (I'm obsessed with the kitchen)!

Do Not Disturb (1965)


gif by me

Do Not Disturb has its detractors, and I'm not claiming this is anything like some of her stellar films like Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, Send Me No Flowers, The Glass Bottom Boat or Move Over, Darling, but there's charm here. Look for another deep dive into her Kent house in this film because gosh it's quaint! 

Pocketful of Miracles (1961)

This is the perfect movie to put on in the background at the holiday season while you're trimming the tree or wrapping presents. Solidly epic in length, all-star cast, and a neat enough storyline, but it's not something I think I need to see again outside the holiday season.

One Hour With You (1932)


via tumblr, source unknown

You all know how much I dislike Maurice Chevalier, but this movie was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and has been nigh-on impossible to find on TCM or streaming (or maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough?). 

Anyways, watched it just for the fact that I can now cross it off my list of movies I still need to see to have watched all of the films ever nominated for Best Picture (I'm at 493/573, for the record, with one of those being a 'lost' film). 

The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)

People were too polite back in the day. I'd have had no problem tossing Sheridan Woodside out of my house at his first barb.

Father of the Bride (1950)

This film is more famous to me for the behind the scenes stunt of Elizabeth Taylor marrying Conrad Hilton for the publicity than it is for any other reason. Also worth noting that I've never seen the '90s remake with Steve Martin. But this was charming, and when are Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor never not in top form? 

Comments