What I Watched in August

An overview of what I watched in August outside of Summer Under the Stars (you can see my thoughts on each movie using my Summer Under the Stars tag).

Lady in the Dark (1944)


gif by me

I think it's the law that if Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland appear together in a film, they have to end up together (and no, I haven't seen Quick, Let's Get Married yet so don't ruin this for me).

Ask Any Girl (1959)


gif by me

Another hit from Shirley MacLaine, in my opinion!

Merry Andrew (1958)


This month I learned a 'Merry Andrew' is British slang for a clown, but besides this, I absolutely loved this charming musical starring Danny Kaye as a stodgy professor longing to break out of convention and Pier Angeli as the circus-performing ingenue he falls in love with. 

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938)


When he smacks her and she smacks him right back? And then he says that he loathes onions so she takes a big ole bite out of a bunch of spring onions? This is why I love Claudette Colbert. 

The Big Clock (1948)


A wonderfully acted mystery that appeared on Margaret Sullavan's day during Summer Under the Stars. It was tightly paced, smart and I couldn't wait to see how Ray Milland (charming as ever) was going to get out of the predicament of being accused of murdering having to solve it without implicating yourself. Definitely watch this one if you get the chance!

The Burning Hills (1956)


gif by me

I'm always happy to find a 'new' Natalie Wood movie to watch, but this one? Yawn. And ugh.

Father is a Bachelor (1950)


gif by me

Awww, William Holden is so sweet in this, acting as a father figure to a bunch of orphans in a town he's stranded in. 

Invitation to the Dance (1956)

So the consensus on this one seems to be that it was a big steaming pile of nothing, but I actually enjoyed it? I love how experimental it is and how different the three different dance segments are. I can't believe Gene Kelly convinced MGM to make this and they let him do it. 

Queen of the Nile (1961)

I'm always down for a 'sword-and-sandal' epic.

A Lady of Chance (1928)

This was Norma Shearer's last silent film. She's such an engaging actress, I always enjoy her movies. 

Ride the Wild Surf (1964)

LOVE THIS! Again, as I've said over and over in this 'What I Watched in...' posts, any movie set in Hawaii is automatically better, but the storyline behind this one, three men enter a surfing contest and fall in love with three local women, was great. I need to get this on DVD ASAP!

Three Sailors and a Girl (1953)


gif by me

God, I love Jane Powell. 

Meet the Stewarts (1942)


gif by me

Both of them are so proud but they're perfect for each other. This would probably fall far down the list of best William Holden films, but it's very charming. 

Our Blushing Brides (1930)


gif by me

My favourite of the 'Our' series Joan Crawford made in her early career, and the only one in sound. The others are Our Dancing Daughters and Our Modern Maidens

Small Town Girl (1953)

As always, Jane Powell's musicals are ever charming. 

Bandolero! (1968)


Honestly? Boring. But that cast: Raquel Welch, James Stewart, Dean Martin and George Kennedy. How could I resist? 

Muscle Beach Party (1964)


Are these beach movies cheesy, formulaic and fun? Yes, and I'll never not want to watch one whenever they pop up on my TV!

ALSO WATCHED: 

The Disorderly Orderly (1964)
The Happy Road (1956)
The Wackiest Ship in the Army (1960)
Way Back Home (1931)
The Common Law (1931)
Of Human Bondage (1964)
Enchanted Island (1958)

Comments