A Preview of TCM's Summer Under the Stars

It's my favourite month of the year! Summer Under the Stars is always so fun: you discover new favourites, you spend the day with old favourites, and it's the perfect way to close out the summer. 


gif by me

So here's your guide to this year's Summer Under the Stars!

FIRST THINGS FIRST...WHO ARE THE STARS? 

In order: Lucille Ball, Anthony Perkins, Stella Stevens, Jackie Cooper, Errol Flynn, Debbie Reynolds, Robert Ryan, Joan Blondell, The Nicholas Brothers, Rhonda Flemming, Alan Ladd, Deborah Kerr, Paul Newman, Greer Garson, Ronald Colman, Katy Jurado, Bob Hope, Carole Lombard, Fred Astaire, Barbara Stanwyck, James Stewart, Geraldine Chaplin, Vincent Price, Loretta Young, Ernest Borgnine, Doris Day, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan, Woody Strode, Sophia Loren, and John Carradine.

ANY FAVOURITE STARS HEADING INTO THE MONTH? 


Oh yes! Even though I've seen all of their films, I'm planning on parking in front of my television for Debbie Reynolds Day and Doris Day...Day. Also looking forward to Lucille Ball Day, Deborah Kerr Day, Paul Newman Day, Bob Hope Day, Loretta Young Day, and the perfect weekend of Carole Lombard Day and Fred Astaire Day. 

WHO ARE NEW TO ME? 


There are quite a few first-timers on the list this year (TCM helpfully noted which ones are new), but in personal terms, there are also quite a few new-to-me names on the list. I've heard of a lot of them, but Stella Stevens, Rhonda Flemming, Robert Ryan, Alan Ladd, Geraldine Chaplin, Woody Strode and John Carradine are practically strangers. Glancing at the schedule, they've been in movies I've seen, they just never really registered.

WHAT'S THE ONE DAY I WON'T MISS? 


Doris Day Day, 100%. Ditto Debbie Reynolds. 

WHAT DAYS WOULD I LIKE TO SKIP?


I'm not a horror fan, then or now, so I could do without a Vincent Price Day. 

ARE ANY OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIES PLAYING THIS MONTH?


Quite a few, actually! Easy to Wed and The Long, Long Trailer on Lucille Ball Day. Athena, Susan Slept Here (only for the set design, not the plot!), Bundle of Joy, I Love Melvin, Singin' in the Rain, The Tender Trap, The Mating Game and It Started With a Kiss on Debbie Reynolds Day. The Prize, Cool Hand Luke and Rachel, Rachel on Paul Newman Day. Lucky Partners on Ronald Colman Day. Bachelor in Paradise, Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! and Critic's Choice on Bob Hope Day. Mr. and Mrs. Smith, To Be or Not To Be, and Twentieth Century on Carole Lombard Day. Everything on Fred Astaire Day. Christmas in Connecticut and Ball of Fire on Barbara Stanwyck Day. Everything on Doris Day Day. Lady L, Arabesque and Two Women on Sophia Loren Day. 

WHICH 'NEW' MOVIES AM I MOST EXCITED FOR? 


Skippy on Jackie Cooper Day. They Died With Their Boots On on Errol Flynn Day, mostly for Olivia de Havilland. I've Got Your Number on Joan Blondell Day. Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison and Black Narcissus on Deborah Kerr Day. Julia Misbehaves on Greer Garson Day. A Global Affair on Bob Hope Day. Just about everything I haven't already seen on Carole Lombard Day. The Woman in Red on Barbara Stanwyck Day. Just about everything I haven't seen on Loretta Young Day. 

WHO WOULD I HAVE GIVEN A DAY TO, IF I WERE A TCM PROGRAMMER?


Until it happens, my yearly answer remains Ray Milland. 

Also would love a Grace Kelly Day but you'd probably have to play each film twice and include the Wedding in Monaco documentary to fill out 24 hours...

Comments