What I Watched in August

An overview of what I watched in August outside of Summer Under the Stars (you can see my thoughts on each movie using my Summer Under the Stars tag).

How to Save a Marriage and Ruin Your Life (1968)


gif by me

I've had this saved on my DVR for YEARS and just never got around to clearing it off (and I don't know why because I love Dean Martin movies). But then I saw Stella Stevens in Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows early in August on Summer Under the Stars, then missed that this was part of her programming that day, but then remembered that I had it saved on my DVR and watched it and OH MY GOD I love it! I need to own this in physical format ASAP!

Love Has Many Faces (1965)

Lana Turner could literally lay on a beach towel in a gorgeous Edith Head bathing suit in every movie and I'd enjoy it. That's how much I love Lana Turner. This was campy (I had it saved from TCM's June feature on campy films) and delicious. Stefanie Powers is also very fun and very catty. 

The Secret Heart (1946)


gif by me

I'm paraphrasing a Letterboxd review here when I say imagine being so cranky that Claudette Colbert is your stepmother. On an unrelated note, did Walter Pidgeon ever record any audiobooks? 

No Down Payment (1957)


gif by me

Joanne Woodward breaks my heart in this; but all of the actors play their depressed suburban role very well. 

The Tip Off (1931)


gif by me

Baby Ginger!

Loose Ankles (1930)


gif by me 

Have I been walking around randomly humming 'loose ankles' to myself ever since I saw this? Yes, I have.

The Loves of Carmen (1948)

The first time I've ever seen anything related to the story of Carmen outside of one very niche reference on an episode of The Simpsons. Rita is magnetic. 

Affair in Trinidad (1952)


That dance scene was scintillating. 

The Lady in Question (1940)


gif by me

Of the three movies I watched in a tribute to Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford, this was the one I enjoyed the least. Their chemistry got better through the decades, in my opinion.

Meet Me After the Show (1951)


gif by me

If I'm being totally honest, I've already forgotten the plot of this one but no matter, Betty Grable was totally entrancing. (A quick IMDb search yields that she's suspicious of her producer husband, and that amnesia plays a part in it? Sure!)

Dames (1934)

Someone should study my brain because June Allyson's memoir has so thoroughly ruined my perception of Dick Powell that I just can't enjoy him on the screen. Thank God Joan Blondell and Ruby Keeler are in this and steal the show!

Broadway Gondolier (1935)


gif by me

See above commentary about Dick Powell and above commentary about thank God for Joan Blondell. 

Nothing But the Truth (1941)


gif by me

One of the funnier early Bob Hope movies I've seen. 

ALSO WATCHED

Please Turn Over (1960)
The King and the Chorus Girl (1937)
Big Business Girl (1931)
They Call it Sin (1932)
The Unguarded Hour (1936)
The Life of Jimmy Dolan (1933)

Comments

  1. What an impressive collection of films! Of these, I'd really like to see that Joanne Woodward film. Also, I had to laugh about June Allyson's memoir changing your opinion of Dick Powell. Joan Blondell's biography (and novel) soured me on June Allyson, but good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment