2024 CLASSIC FILM READING CHALLENGE: MY BOOKS

Who's ready for some summer reading!

A staple of my summer the past few years has been the Classic Film Reading Challenge, hosted by Out of the Past Blog. This summer it's all self-directed, so I'm going to try to keep up with it. Here are my picks: 

  1. The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven
  2. Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud by Shaun Considine
  3. Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland by Gerald Clarke
  4. Captain of Her Soul: The Life of Marion Davies by Laura Gabrielle
  5. Garbo by Robert Gottlieb
  6. Puttin' on the Ritz: Fred Astaire and the Fine Art of Panache by Peter Levinson

Here's how I chose them all...

Who doesn't love David Niven (God, I hope I don't eat those words once I've finished his memoir)? For years I've read rave reviews of The Moon's a Balloon and I found it in my local Value Village so I figured it was a sign! I'm a big fan of his charm and accent, and more than a handful of his movies are on my favourites list, so I'm looking forward to this one. 


gif by me

I devoured this book years ago, so juicy and catty, and it even helped inspire my own novel (The Majestic Sisters, publishing on August 27th). It's time for a re-read. I love Bette, I love Joan. Let's re-read and have a gossip sesh afterwards!


Poor Judy. Her life was such a tragedy, but her films are all classics. I feel like I have the cliffnotes version of her life story, but I want a complete portrait. 


TCM making Marion Davies their Star of the Month in January 2023 changed my life. She made me want to watch more silent films, she made me want to learn more about the era, and I've also wanted to read Laura Gabrielle's biography for over a year but I saved it for this summer! I can't wait to learn more about this dynamic woman!


I know nothing about Greta Garbo beyond 'I vant to be alone,' leaving John Gilbert at the altar and her reclusiveness (I stan, honestly), so it's time to learn!


In the same vein as David Niven, who didn't love Fred Astaire? I read about him through Ginger's eyes in her autobiography a few summers ago, and now it's Fred's turn!

Comments

  1. The Lara Gabrielle book on Marion Davies is fantastic! You'll fall more in love with her, since Davies was a genuinely compassionate person in addition to being a talented comedienne.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment