What I Watched in May

An overview of what I watched in May.

Letter From an Unknown Woman (1948)


Oh, break my heart, Joan. You do it every time!

Chained (1934)


gif by me

Oooh, I loved this! 

Tonight and Every Night (1945)

I wasn't totally sold on the plot but my God, the dance scenes! 

Desire (1936)


This was hot. I'm of the opinion that in any romance film (bar maybe like... Love in the Afternoon) Gary Cooper could be chewed up and spit out by his leading lady. He's always so wholesome and the leading lady, in this case Marlene Dietrich, has all the bite. It works here; this was so good! 

Sweet November (1968)

gif by me

If I had twelve months to live I can promise you that I wouldn't spend it getting a new man to fix every calendar month. I'm not even going to apologize for the lack of spoiler warning, you should know what you're getting into. Sandy Dennis, you deserve better!

Three Daring Daughters (1948)


gif by me

Charming, Jane Powell, Jeanette MacDonald, Edward Arnold, production design to die for... this had it all! 

The Vanishing Virginian (1942)


gif by me

I hate these 'picturesque' movies about turn-of-the-century life where the women are oppressed, there's blackface (even if the character's not doing it in a 'mean' way, he's still got blackface on), and we're all supposed to cheer for the father figure because he's the head of the family. Miss me. So glad Kathryn Grayson got to move onto better films, cause this wasn't it.

Sadie McKee (1934)

There's no scenery in this one, Joan Crawford chewed it all. I swear. Ask me where this is set. I haven't the foggiest, I couldn't take my eyes off of her the entire time. 

ALSO WATCHED:

From the Earth to the Moon (1958)
The Half-Naked Truth (1932)
Man's Castle (1933)
The Guardsman (1931)
Song of the Open Road (1944)
Daughter of the Dragon (1931)
Vicki (1953)
The Sheik (1921)
The Venetian Affair (1967)

Comments