What I Watched in September

An overview of what I watched in September.

That Man from Rio (L'Homme de Rio) (1964)


I banked a bunch of Jean-Paul Belmondo movies from his Summer Under the Stars day that I'm still working through and this is so good! I may need to buy it and have it as physical media. Also, it's just so sad about Françoise Dorleac, she definitely would've been a major star like her sister. 

(Also like, every time he got wet and that shirt clung to him? Don't talk to me.)

8½ (Otto e mezzo) (1963)


Pure luck that I caught this on TCM! I've been a fan of every Marcello Mastroianni film I've come across so far and this did not disappoint! I've got a few others stashed on my DVR (La Notte and Le Notti Bianche) from his centennial celebrations this past weekend, may have to save them for a cool October Sunday morning matinee.

That Night in Rio (1941)

This was fun but not as fun as Week-End in Havana, which I watched in July and absolutely loved (and also features the same three principals).

She's Back on Broadway (1953)


gif by me

I didn't like this except for this overdramatic scene with the showgirl stomping off and then turning back to deliver a withering rebuke of Virginia Mayo (for dumb reasons, but still, it's the drama of the moment). 

Love is a Funny Thing (Un homme qui me plaît) (1969)


gif by me

Ooh, this was good. Jean-Paul Belmondo Day continues to treat me well.

Indochine (1992)

Dammit, now I want Catherine Deneuve to have won a competitive Oscar (not necessarily for this). Her oeuvre is so good, how did they overlook her all these years?!

ALSO WATCHED:

Blonde Fever (1944)
She's Working Her Way Through College (1952)
Surprise Package (1960)
Love is a Headache (1938)
Fate is the Hunter (1964)
Sol Madrid (1968)
George White's Scandals (1945)
This Man is Mine (1934)* 

I also watched The Automat documentary and just...bring them back, I want to go to an automat!

* The top reviews on Letterboxd all said "All this for Ralph Bellamy" and readers, I must agree. 

Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading about your new-to-you movies, Jess. I am bumping up 8 1/2 on my watchlist, and you definitely are making me want to check out more Jean-Paul Belmondo! (Also, I didn't know anything about Francoise Dorleac, so I looked it up -- what a tragedy!)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment