What I Watched in October

An overview of what I watched in October, a month of Frank Sinatra flicks and movies later spoofed by The Simpsons... 

Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964)

This was more of a romp than I was expecting (and now I can't recall what, exactly, I was expecting). I really enjoyed it. 

The Grass is Greener (1960)


gif by me

Stylish, chic, and fun. I'm always down for a Stanley Donen flick. 

It Happened in Brooklyn (1947)


You wanna watch Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford and Kathryn Grayson be joyously happy for nearly two hours while singing and dancing? Then this is the flick for you. 

The Fly (1958)

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CAT?! Also...the image of that lil fly stuck in a web with a man's face and arm is going to live in my head for the rest of my life. That was horrifying to imagine being in that situation. 

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)


via tumblr, source unknown

This whole movie is gold (and spoofed by The Simpsons), but the sequence at the end with Spencer Tracy, of all people, on a madcap dash to secure a fortune that ends with EVERYONE in traction? Hilarious! 

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Angela Lansbury's range, man...

Too Young to Kiss (1951)


gif by me

If the main characters of The Major and The Minor hated each other and had to grow to like each other over the course of the film, it would be Too Young to Kiss. I liked the former better, but this was still a great treat! 

A Hole in the Head (1959)

All the dramatics that come with a mid-century story about a single parent down on their luck and the precocious kid who inspires them to keep going. 

Five Came Back (1939)


gif by me

Jesus, how harrowing. Imagine being stuck in the jungle, plane crash landed, and then only five passengers can return to civilization? 

The Affairs of Annabel (1938)


via tumblr, the incredible lucille ball

Annabel should've fired her press agent and kept him fired, honestly. But Lucy's perfection, of course. 

Luxury Liner (1948)


gif by me

This performance of 'Alouette' plays on repeat in my head. 

Hollywood or Bust (1956)

The final Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis film didn't disappoint, but Artists and Models is still my favourite! 

Cape Fear (1962)

Having grown up on The Simpsons and recalling the Cape Fear-inspired Sideshow Bob episode, I went in to this kind of knowing the gist, but holy crap it far exceeded my expectations. Gregory Peck is always great, and I've enjoyed Robert Mitchum in other films, but he was magnetic in this film. I couldn't take my eyes off of him whenever he was on screen! 

Fantastic Voyage (1966)


"That doesn't look like what I'd expect that to look like..." was basically my reaction throughout this entire bonkers film. The visual effects were great, though. 

Strait-Jacket (1964)

This was such a fascinating film; Joan Crawford was riveting! 

ALSO WATCHED

Letter of Introduction (1938)
Nothing But the Truth (1941)
Seven Days' Leave (1942)
The Impatient Years (1944)
You Can't Fool Your Wife (1940)
The Last of the Secret Agents (1966)
Crescendo (1970)
Her Husband's Affairs (1947)

Comments