What I Watched in January

An overview of what I watched in January. 

Sun Valley Serenade (1941)


Adding visiting Sun Valley to my bucket list. 

Barefoot in the Park (1967) 


via tumblr, source unknown

Man, what a cast. I wonder if Jane Fonda and Robert Redford had any idea then what they'd become. Aside from that, I really enjoyed this. Would hate to live in that apartment, and the conflict that drives them apart felt a little forced, but overall, quite enjoyable. 

Follow the Boys (1963) 


gif by me

Who's coming with me on the road trip that follows the Follow the Boys route through the Riviera? 

I'll Be Seeing You (1944) 

Oh so heartbreaking but such a promising ending! 

Silk Stockings (1957) 

I could watch Cyd Charisse dance all day. 

Some Came Running (1958) 


source unknown

This felt like important watching after reading about how significant it was to Shirley MacLaine (it was the first time she was ever nominated for an Oscar) and for Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. 

The Bellboy (1960) 

via tumblr, source unknown

I'm obsessed with hotels, and the fact that this was filmed entirely on location at the Fontainebleau in Miami was a major seller. The Bellboy is mostly vignettes that follow Jerry Lewis's bumbling bellboy around the hotel, but it's classic Jerry Lewis comedy, so it's always entertaining. (Plus, if you're like me and his voice absolutely grates you, rest assured: he doesn't talk.)

Without Love (1945) 

Only one more Katharine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy film to go: Keeper of the Flame! That aside, I did enjoy this, but not as much as some of their other films, like Adam's Rib, Desk Set, or Woman of the Year.

Nanook of the North (1922) 

It was fascinating to finally watch this after hearing about it for years. 

Frankie and Johnny (1966) 

I don't know why I keep coming back to Elvis Presley movies that aren't Viva Las Vegas or Blue Hawaii, but at least this one had Ellie May Clampett?

Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (1962)


via tumblr, source unknown

If Jimmy Stewart's paying for me to go on vacation, the answer is yes! 

Finian's Rainbow (1968) 

My mind was blown when I learned that Francis Ford Coppola directed this film. I'm sorry, what?! I was also under the impression that this was a kids movie, like, they interacted with some charming orphans or something to find gold? My mistake! 

Visit to a Small Planet (1960)


gif by me

This felt like a very long television episode. 

She Married Her Boss (1935) 


gif by me

Look, if Claudette Colbert's in it, or if Melvyn Douglas is in it, I'm watching it. That they're in this together is perfection. I loved this even if it seemed to lag towards the end. 

ALSO WATCHED

Two Weeks With Love (1950)
The Caddy (1953)
Play Girl (1941)
Mandalay (1934)
The Keyhole (1933)
Bed of Roses (1933)
The Merry Widow (1950)
Sin Takes a Holiday (1931)
Street of Women (1932)
Stolen Holiday (1937)
A Shriek in the Night (1932)
Heartbeat (1946)

Comments