What I Watched in October

An overview of what I watched in October. 

The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)

I have the urge to move to France and be impossibly chic in a sing-song voice all of a sudden.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)


How many years have I been meaning to watch The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and just didn't? I'm kicking myself because this is such a magnificent movie.

Burnt Offerings (1976)


Basically this movie guaranteed that I'll never rent or buy a Victorian house from a pair of creepy siblings... 

Secret Ceremony (1968)


I watched this because it was on a presentation about TCM Underground movies (and sometimes the weirdest and wackiest, but also most entertaining movies are featured on it), so I figured why not. I love campy Liz Taylor so this wasn't a total wash, but I doubt I'll ever feel compelled to see it again.

Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion (1965)


gif by me

This was cute. Forgettable, but cute.

The Scapegoat (1959)


gif by me

You know when you're watching a movie that's too smart for you but you feel like you have to watch it for the act of appearing smart? That's me with literally any Daphne Du Maurier adaptation. 

McLintock! (1963)


gif by me

Ugh.

Suddenly (1954)


gif by me

Billed as Frank Sinatra's first big dramatic/villain role and honestly, quite a tight story too. It was short—only 70-something minutes—but impactful.

The Big Broadcast of 1937 (1936)


gif by me

Bring back these big musical movies that do nothing but showcase the stars in vignettes. I miss them! 

ALSO WATCHED: 

Higher and Higher (1944)
Swing High, Swing Low (1937)
Grand Slam (1933)
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading about the films you watched in October. Your comment about Daphne DuMaurier adaptations made me laugh! I saw Secret Ceremony, too, and there wasn't one second where I understood what the heck was going on. That was one nutty flick. I still have yet to see The Young Girls of Rochefort and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, although I've heard their praises sung for years now! One of these days. . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment