Inside the Susanswerphone Answering Service (Bells Are Ringing)

For as much as I go on and on about rotary telephones whenever I do an Apartment Therapy post, it sure has taken me a long time to get to Bells Are Ringing.


Bells Are Ringing is a charming 1960 musical starring Judy Holliday and Dean Martin, about a telephone operator (played by Judy Holliday) from the Susanswerphone Answering Service who plays the role of 'Mom' while working for a playwright (played by Dean Martin). It all becomes romantic and charming and confusing once they meet in real life, and it's such a cute movie, definitely watch it if you get the chance!


The movie opens with a montage of telephones. I'm in Heaven already!



And the women who are waiting by their telephones are shown in their homes. Here's the tasteful home. 


And the apartment, with its powder blues and blush pinks, that seems more my style. I love the radio hidden under a pile of clothes and all the knick-knacks strewn around the place. 


The third woman's apartment tour begins in the bathroom, and the wall of glass vases is certainly a choice.


But I love her baby pink apartment, so I'm going to overlook the bathroom glass. 


A mint green bathroom!


I love the headboard!


Here's the shabby chic Susanswerphone Answering Service office. 


I love the little operator set-up here...


...and on the wall. I think if I'd been around in the '50s and '60s, I would've loved being a telephone operator. 


Exposed brick and a mélange of artwork on the walls. 


Here's the changing room. 


And the pet birdie!


Meanwhile, this is Dean Martin's fancy New York apartment. It's very sterile but there are still a lot of fantastic production design details in it, starting with that blue couch!


A choice balcony. 


And a fancy bar area. 


...I just really enjoyed this mirror frame. And all of the artwork hanging to the side. 


Dean's desk area, and same, amirite?


The chair looks comfy. 


I'd love to have a writing space like that. 


Back at Judy's place, here's a look at the little kitchenette area. 


Another glimpse of the main room, with a sitting area. 


And a better look at the operator area. 


The bookshelves!


Out on the balcony. 


The other side of the switchboard. 


And one more telephone for good measure! 

___


Comments