All of Doris Day's Movies

I've finally finished one of my New Year's Resolutions...from 2021! I've seen all of Doris Day's movies.


This has been a definite labour of love in the three-ish years it's taken me to watch all of Doris's movies, so as a helpful primer for anyone else who loves Doris like me, or wants to see them all too, here are my thoughts on All of Doris Day's Movies.

Romance on the High Seas (1948)

Such a fun, charming musical that cemented Doris Day's appeal as a movie actress. She had that magic right from the start. 

In this, Doris plays a young nightclub singer who wants to be a star and to travel. She fills in for a suspicious wife on a cruise to Brazil and falls in love in the process. This is one of my top ten Doris Day movies. The chemistry between her and Jack Carson (who she was often paired with in her early career) is not talked about enough. 

One of my favourite posts on here is 'Why I Want to Go on a Cruise But Only If It's the Cruise from Romance on the High Seas'. Read here.

My Dream is Yours (1949)


Fun enough on its own, another great romance starring Doris and Jack Carson, but also includes a bonkers dream sequence with Bugs Bunny that involves Doris and Jack dressed up as rabbits. 

It's a Great Feeling (1949)

The best part of this movie is when Joan Crawford slaps Jack Carson clear across the face, let's be honest, but overall this is such a fun romp of a musical about Doris Day playing a character who works at MGM and is trying to break into musicals. Lots of inside baseball and shenanigans, plus a fun end frame cameo!

Young Man With a Horn (1950)


I'm of the opinion that Kirk Douglas was overrated and his presence ruins more movies for me than improves them. Plus, he was a jerk. When Doris's ghostwriter reached out to past co-stars to talk about Doris for her autobiography, Kirk went out of his way to speak bad about her when he could've just ignored the request. Sorry Doris, but for Kirk alone I can't abide it.

Tea for Two (1950)


I would very easily win a bet where I had to say no to everything for two days because that's life as an introvert coming out of a pandemic. Anyways, this is okay, but not exactly memorable against Doris's other movies.

The West Point Story (1950)


source unknown

How I imagine the pitch went: "That Doris Day is pretty popular. How can we shoehorn her into this story about West Point cadets?" "I don't know, there's gotta be a musical angle..." "Well, I bet we can play off chemistry with Jimmy Cagney and it'll work on the big screen." 

Storm Warning (1951)

A heavy film with a heavy message (that involves murder and the KKK), and I can't help but wish that Doris Day and Ginger Rogers had've been able to collaborate on something lighter. Imagine these two in a musical. We were robbed. 

Lullaby of Broadway (1951)


via tumbr, source unknown 

I didn't enjoy this one at all. 

On Moonlight Bay (1951)


I really enjoyed this at-home musical, in which Doris plays a young woman at the turn of the century in love with Gordon MacRae. Very charming, and the title song always gets in my head.

I'll See You in My Dreams (1951)


source unknown

Not a fan of this one, in which Doris plays the long-suffering wife and songwriting partner to Danny Thomas. Doris hits her stride when she's the lead, not the supporting act. 

Starlift (1951)


gif by me

The credits for Starlift reads like a Who's Who? and that's pretty much all I have to say about this one. 

The Winning Team (1952)


gif by me

Long-suffering wife and she's married to Ronald Reagan? This sounds like torture. 

April in Paris (1952)

Once you realize that Doris is in love with The Scarecrow it ruins the movie experience for you. 

By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1952)

The sequel to the charming On Moonlight Bay is just as charming. Don't miss these two movies if you can help it, they're perfect windows into the earlier part of Doris's career and showcase her at her best. 

Calamity Jane (1953)

This was Doris's favourite of her own films because she felt she was most like the tomboyish Calamity Jane. It's a fun musical that has a cult following, and it's a can't miss. 

Lucky Me (1954)


gif by me

Lucky Me didn't make waves with reviewers but damn if it isn't light and fun. I'm a fan of this one. 

Young At Heart (1954)

Yawn. 

Love Me or Leave Me (1955)


Another yawnfest, in my opinion, but Doris is great with James Cagney.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Doris in a sophisticated mystery from Alfred Hitchcock? Yes please! You know this movie, even if you haven't seen it, because it gave Doris her signature song: Que Sera, Sera.

Julie (1956)


gif by me

We're nearing the end of Doris's string of dramatic, black and white '50s films. Julie wasn't one of her favourites, and if I'm being honest, it isn't one of mine either. But she plays the role of a terrified, abused wife with grace.

The Pajama Game (1957)

Cause if there's one thing the world needs, it's musicals about unions!

Teacher's Pet (1958)


I enjoyed this one, where Doris plays a journalism teacher at night school and Clark Gable is a reporter who she's criticized in the past taking her class, because I couldn't guess the plot. It's an interesting movie. 

The Tunnel of Love (1958)


gif by me

You can skip this one. It's all about an infertile couple trying to adopt and the husband potentially giving a sample to another woman? And the baby kind of looks like him? There's also questionable ethics on the part of the adoption agency here. 

Miss this one.

It Happened to Jane (1959)


This is another top ten Doris Day movie for me. I love it so much. The Maine setting reminds me of my small town life growing up and the fact that the plot involves the sale of lobsters? Hello! 

It Happened to Jane features Doris and Jack Lemmon in top form, and Ernie Kovacs is also in this, and he's got such great comedic timing. Watch this one! 

Pillow Talk (1959)


How do I love Pillow Talk? Let me count the ways! 

This is my favourite Doris Day movie; my favourite Rock Hudson movie; and one of my top three favourite movies (It Happened One Night occupies the top slot). It's romantic, it's comedic, Doris and Rock are great and their chemistry is fire, the plot is amazing, the supporting cast (especially Tony Randall) is top notch...need I keep going? 

I love this movie so much. If you only ever see one Doris Day movie, make it this one. 

Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)


gif by me

Fun, if not exactly memorable, but the title song is so catchy! 

Midnight Lace (1960)


gif by me

This movie feels like a Hitchcock thriller though it isn't. It's an interesting thriller, one I think is worth watching. It was apparently so terrifying to Doris that she refused to make another dramatic movie for the rest of her career. 

Lover Come Back (1961)

Basically Pillow Talk with a Mad Men spin and it works. Also, Rock Hudson's got a beard in this movie and it. works. 

Don't miss this one!

That Touch of Mink (1962)


Of all her leading men, for what my opinion's worth, I think Doris had the least chemistry with Cary Grant, who stars opposite her in That Touch of Mink. Watch this one for the gal pal friendship between Doris and Audrey Totter, for the automat, and for the production design! 

Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962)


If you ever wondered what it'd be like if Doris joined the circus, have I got news for you! 

The Thrill of It All (1963)


This movie is hilarious, and definitely ranks up there for me. There's so much to love in The Thrill of It All! and of course Doris is the tops. She plays an ordinary housewife turned product television spokesperson and I'm always laughing whenever I watch this one. 

Move Over, Darling (1963)


A remake of My Favourite Wife where Doris plays a wife and mother who'd been stranded on a deserted island, but everyone thought she was dead. When she returns, it causes chaos for her family, who've moved on in the years she's been gone.

A very funny remake, I have to say. I think I enjoyed this more than My Favourite Wife, if only for the modernization of the storyline. The chemistry between Doris and James Garner was on par with that of Irene Dunne and Cary Grant in the original. 

Send Me No Flowers (1964)


Send Me No Flowers is often ranked third of the three pairings of Doris Day and Rock Hudson, but I have a soft spot for it. It's a comfort watch. 

Do Not Disturb (1965)


Do Not Disturb is funny and charming, and Doris employs some slapstick here for the gags of an American couple newly transported to rural England for the husband's (played by Rod Taylor) job promotion. It's fun but I don't know that I need to watch it again, you know?

The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)


gif by me

This movie is wacky and bonkers and so cool in that space era/Cold War variety. I love this one, and it's definitely my favourite of the two movies Doris made with Rod Taylor. 

Caprice (1967)


This one is kind of boring but I love the concept of a woman trying to find out secrets for a rival cosmetics company. Is that still a thing? Someone get in touch in the comments if it is, I'd be down to try it!

The Ballad of Josie (1967)


Meh. This is supposed to be all about an independent Doris in the west raising sheep and not relying on a man but it swiftly goes downhill. 

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)


For the longest time I didn't believe this movie was real, but then I found a version online. Let's just say...I wish it had've actually been a hoax. 

With Six You Get Eggroll (1968)


Doris's last movie returns to her comfort zone (even if the plot feels very Yours, Mine and Ours). It's funny and heartwarming, and if this had to be her last movie, I'm glad at least that it showcases that fun screen persona. 

___

What's your favourite Doris Day movie? Tell me about it in the comments! 

Comments