What I Watched in January

An overview of what I watched in January. 

The Wheeler Dealers (1963)


gif by me

Early candidate for favourite new-to-me movie of 2023. I loved everything about this movie: James Garner and Lee Remick are fantastic; the production design was great; the story was fun. I loved it, and I need to own it on DVD immediately!

For Love or Money (1963)


gif by me

You're telling me Mr. I-singlehandedly-ended-the-Blacklist, Mr. I'm-the-best-actor-of-all-time, Mr. Kirk Douglas starred in a '60s sex comedy and that it was pretty great? 

The Virgin Queen (1955)


gif by me

If anyone's going to be the Queen of Old Hollywood, it might as well be Bette Davis. Her presence is certainly queenly (to say nothing of that British accent...)

Parrish (1961)


gif by me

I need to find whoever discovered Troy Donahue and have a few words with them because man, the guy could not act. And on top of that, a nearly three hour movie about tobacco farming where Karl Malden chews all the scenery? Ugh, poor Claudette Colbert. This was her last movie and she deserved better. 

Untamed Youth (1957)

If I said that this was terrible but I want to watch it over and over again, would that make sense? I don't get it either...

The Italian Job (1969)

I need to know what happens at the end! Do they ever get the gold out of the back of that van?!

Downhill Racer (1969)


gif by me

Watch Robert Redford ski for two hours? I can do that! 

Girl Happy (1965)


gif by me

I don't know how it happened, but I liked this Elvis movie. I'm blaming the catchy title song and the frothy mid-century Fort Lauderdale locale.

Payment Deferred (1932)


gif by me

I cannot abide anyone murdering Ray Milland in like, the first 20 minutes of a movie. You expect me to pay attention after that? 

The Safecracker (1958)


gif by me

He was so close to getting that pardon! 

My Six Loves (1963)


gif by me

I can tell you right now that if I ever get burn out and need to retreat to the country, looking after six kids won't be on my to do list, but somehow Debbie Reynolds even makes that charming. That Cliff Robertson is in this too is fun, I enjoy seeing him pop up in '60s movies that aren't Gidget.

Say One For Me (1959)


gif by me

I wanted to like this! I just couldn't get into it. 

ALSO WATCHED:

Beverly of Graustark (1926)
Show People (1928)
Not So Dumb (1930)
The Floradora Girl (1930)
The Patsy (1928)
The Red Mill (1927)
Bride's Play (1922)
Going Hollywood (1933)
Polly of the Circus (1933)
Five and Ten (1931)
Blondie of the Follies (1932)
The Bachelor Father (1931)
When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922)
Page Miss Glory (1935)
Peg o' My Heart (1933)
Consolation Marriage (1932)
This Happy Feeling (1958)
Up Periscope (1959)
Billy Liar (1963)
World Without End (1956)
Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969) — I watched this just for the title

Read all about the Marion Davies movies I watched this month (those in lavender) here. 

Comments