What I Watched in October

An overview of what I watched in October. 'Twas heavy on the  Charlton Heston (who was TCM'S Star of the Month) and the spooky, and I watched my 200th movie this year at the end of the month!

Private Property (1937)


gif by me

This was so fun, Jean Harlow and Robert Taylor are so perfectly cast in this comedy. Definitely my favourite thing I watched this month. 

So This is Love (1953)


gif by me

This was cute!

Two Sisters From Boston (1946)


gif by me

Meh. 

Jane Eyre (1943)

I never read Jane Eye because The Princess Diaries spoiled it in my teenage years, but they posited that Edward Rochester was a romantic hero? I don't see it... But my love for Joan Fontaine is well-documented, so I'm happy to support her by watching this. 

King Kong (1933)

Not knocking this, because it is so influential and iconic and I enjoyed it, but watching this after having spent a lifetime watching the 'Treehouse of Horror' spoof from The Simpsons really took away from the viewing. Also, I'm such a wimp, I know this would have terrified me if I'd been around in 1933. 

Diamond Head (1962)


gif by me

They want me to believe Yvette Mimieux and Charlton Heston are siblings? Get right out, sirs. 

Stay Away, Joe (1968)

Someday I'll have watched all of Elvis's movies and then there won't be any more to watch

Carousel (1956)


gif by me

I could write an entire post about what's wrong with Carousel, starting with the fact that there's barely any carousel in this movie. 

But then we find out he's physically abusive both as a human and as a space ghost and that he died for a totally stupid reason? 

And then there's the costuming. At no point did Gordon McRae look like he belonged in the time period this was set in. In the gif above, he looks like he's posing for a '70s men's catalogue, but at other points in the movie, he looks like a greaser from Grease, a rock-n-roll pirate and an 18th century strongman. 

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)


gif by me

I can't imagine anything worse than shrinking into oblivion. I watched Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. I have no interest in ever living in the quantum realm. 

Mr. & Mrs. Bridge (1990)


gif by me

The number of times I've had this on my DVR and erased it because I needed space... I bit the built and recorded it overnight one night in mid-October and made myself sit down and watch it, and honestly, we are so lucky to have Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman. 

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

These types of horror movies are my speed. 

Soylent Green (1973)

The last-minute reveal would've landed better if this hadn't already been spoiled by The Simpsons, but it was entertaining nonetheless. 

ALSO WATCHED:

That Midnight Kiss (1949)
Waterloo Bridge (1931)
Isle of the Dead (1945)
Showboat (1951)
Bad for Each Other (1953)
This Woman is Dangerous (1952)
The War Lord (1965)
Number One (1969)
Miracles For Sale (1939)
The Private War of Major Benson (1955)
The Devil Doll (1936)
From the Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (1973)

Comments

  1. Wow, first of all, I am so impressed by the number of movies you watched! Second, I thoroughly enjoyed your post -- your comments are a delight. What did you think of Waterloo Bridge?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment