What I Watched in August

An overview of what I watched in August outside of Summer Under the Stars (you can see my thoughts on each movie using my Summer Under the Stars tag).

[The month of August was not kind to me, so I'm still watching Summer Under the Stars movies into September. I'm going to backdate their entries to August though, as they publish on the blog, so that I don't have to be reminded of this in future years. They're also not going to be logged as September watches in next month's 'What I Watched'.]

Contempt (Le Mépris) (1963)

A gorgeously-shot film. It's hard to overlook how awful Brigitte Bardot's personal politics were, I still haven't figured out where I land on the 'separate the art from the artist' debate. I really only wanted to watch this because I'm so interested in French New Wave films, not because of Bardot.

This further solidifes my idea that I belong somewhere on the French/Italian coast.

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef (1953)

gif by me

This felt goofy. I also can't take Robert Wagner seriously, I'm sorry.

Meet the People (1944)

gif by me

This was my original pick for June Allyson Day during Summer Under the Stars only to find out she had basically a glorified cameo and that I'd have to pick another film (I ended up choosing You Can't Run Away From It). 

Yes, that means I subjected myself to a Dick Powell movie. But, I also got to see Lucille Ball, so silver lining.

Flipper (1963)

gif by me

Does it make sense if I say this felt entirely too Christian? I'm sure the dolphin can be viewed allegorically if you want it to. I just felt like I should be watching this in a church basement. 

Stage Struck (1958)

gif by me

Morning Glory > Stage Struck.

Hot Water (1924)

gif by me

Turns out there was a bonafide actress from my teensy tiny hometown: Josephine Crowell! She plays the overbearing mother-in-law to Harold Lloyd to great effect in this.

Comments