2020 Summer Reading Classic Film Book Challenge: My Books!

I love to read books about classic Hollywood. The stars, the films, the industry; and I especially love historical fiction when it takes place in Hollywood. I'm constantly on the prowl for biographies and memoirs and inside stories about this amazing period, and I feel like I'm always finding new books to be added to the list thanks to the fabulous Out of the Past blog. 

As a long-time lurker who finally has her own classic movie blog, I'm stoked to participate in my first Classic Film Book Challenge. Here are my picks: 


1. No Bed of Roses by Joan Fontaine
2. Every Frenchman Has One by Olivia de Havilland
3. Considering Doris Day by Tom Santopietro
4. Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow by Sophia Loren
5. Life is a Banquet by Rosalind Russell and Chris Chase
6. A Life of Barbara Stanwyck: Steel-True 1907-1940 by Victoria Wilson

I've read Joan and Olivia's memoirs before, but the rest of these books have been sitting on my shelf forever waiting to be read (well, except the Doris Day biography. It's just a product of the times that the libraries around here are closed and I've been in possession of it since March. I'll have to read it first to make sure I fit it in before I have to return it!). 

I've always been a voracious reader though, and I like reading challenges, so I'm also going to attempt the following this summer, though they won't officially be a part of the challenge: 


1. Ginger: My Story by Ginger Rogers
2. All That Heaven Allows: A Biography of Rock Hudson by Mark Griffin

I've read Ginger's autobiography before, but now that I've been diving into more of her films, I'd like to re-read this. I've never read this Rock Hudson biography, but I am, as you'll probably find out as this blog grows), a big fan of his, so I'm excited to learn more about him beyond his partnership with Doris Day and his devastating final years. 

What's on your reading list? Let me know what books I should add to mine! 



Comments