History of the Swimsuit: Wrap-Up


Not for the first time I find myself wishing to be a TCM programmer. This month-long history lesson, the History of the Swimsuit, has been so much fun to watch at a time when life has certainly been more leisurely and...socially distanced. 


Here's a look at what I watched during TCM's History of the Swimsuit tribute.

Gidget (1959)


The best thing I can say about Gidget is that I want to move into Francie's house. Other than that, I just kept wishing that someone would tell her to find new friends and not hang out with gross boys who try to feel her up and drown her as a part of ritual initiation.  

Surf Party (1964)


In terms of a beach movie, this one seemed very dark and adult in comparison to Frankie and Annette's adventures. Plus it's in black-and-white, which seems antithetical to the point of the genre. But some of the songs were catchy, so although it wasn't my favourite, I found things to like. 

Thrill of a Romance (1945)

via tumblr

I've so enjoyed discovering and, pardon the pun, diving into Esther Williams's filmography over the past year. Thrill of a Romance was fun, fashionable and absolutely charming. I'm going to do a more in-depth look at this film as part of the Esther Williams blogathon in August, so stay tuned! 

Dangerous When Wet (1953)


Another fun plot, with dramatic stakes, and a dream sequence featuring Tom and Jerry. Who knew that swimming the English Channel could involve so many romantic entanglements? 

Blue Hawaii (1961)

via tumgir

My grandmother is capital-O obsessed with Elvis Presley, and used to go to the theatre to see his films and swoon; I couldn't help but think of her while watching Blue Hawaii. It was my first brush with Elvis the movie star, and while I wouldn't put him at the top of my favourite actors list, he was pretty great and I enjoyed the storyline and the stunning Hawaiian backdrop. 

I also want a Blue Hawaii cocktail, but that's a horse of a different colour. 

The Swimmer (1968)


If I'm being honest, I was looking least forward to this film, just based on what sounded like another 'man has midlife crisis' movie. Like, the last thing I wanted to do was watch a movie about Burt Lancaster moping around the pool. 

I'm not sure I need to watch this again, but the premise was interesting (and the ending was telegraphed from the start) and Burt Lancaster once said it was his favourite and best film, so what can you say? 

Beach Party (1963)


I really wish this had been my introduction to the teen beach party movie genre and not How to Stuff a Wild Bikini last summer during Buster Keaton's Summer Under the Stars day, but here we are (spoiler alert: I hated How to Stuff a Wild Bikini). 

Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello are so fun together, and I loved Eric von Zipper and the Rats. Toss in the always-glam Dorothy Malone and some fun songs, great scenery and a light-as-air plot and I'm sold! 

It's a Bikini World (1967)


Samson and Delilah? Okay, I'll bite. I just could not get into this one, so I had it playing in the background while I was doing other things. I looked up and at various moments saw: a skateboarding race, a boat race, the male lead jumping around the room in slo-mo, another skateboarding race, and a camel race? 

I also have no idea how it ended? I think they ended up together? I can see why this film was the death knell of the beach party movie. 

Palm Springs Weekend (1963)


Another heavy beach movie, but it made me want to go to Palm Springs, so mission accomplished? 

Viva Las Vegas (1964)


LOVE! Ann-Margret is so cool. Las Vegas in the '60s looks so wonderful, with all the neon signs and fun to be had. I may have to add this to my 'can't bear to delete from my DVR' list...

Bikini Beach (1964)


I didn't realize how much I was going to enjoy these beach party movies, so I'm kicking myself for not DVRing Muscle Beach Party. I really enjoyed Bikini Beach, especially Frankie as the British pop idol Potato Bug. That accent made me laugh every time he was on screen. 

I've also had this song stuck in my head since this morning. 

Beach Blanket Bingo (1964)


Another zany adventure on the beach for Frankie and Annette: this one involved a pop star, free falls over the open ocean (that didn't look fake at all), a mermaid girlfriend for Bonehead, and the return of Don Rickles's Big Drop and my favourite motorcycle gang leader Eric von Zipper. 

__

I'd seen a few other films that were included in this month-long tribute: Million Dollar Mermaid, You Said a Mouthful, Where the Boys Are, and How to Stuff a Wild Bikini. That last one was the only one I didn't enjoy.

__

Did you watch TCM's tribute to the History of the Swimsuit? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments!

__

I don't own the gifs or still images used in this post. 







Comments