What I Watched in May

An overview of what I watched in May (or as it turned into unintentionally, Ray Milland Month).

Million Dollar Mermaid (1952)

I'm so enjoying delving into Esther Williams's body of work, and really enjoyed Million Dollar Mermaid. Those aquaballet scenes were gorgeously shot. 

The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940)


Ray Milland charmingly playing a charming doctor (with not so charming opinions on women, I should mention) who charmingly gets into a scheme with Loretta Young to pretend to be her husband? Yes please!

If You Could Only Cook (1935)

source unknown

I will forever be impressed by Jean Arthur's comedic timing.  

The Well-Groomed Bride (1946)


Ray Milland charmingly playing a charming Navy lieutenant in search of a bottle of champagne to christen a new aircraft carrier but must charmingly battle Olivia de Havilland, who also wants the champagne for her wedding? Yes please!

Dreamboat (1952)


If you don't want Ginger Rogers to present a backlog of your film catalog after you've retired and become an English professor, then I don't know what to tell ya. Especially if your nickname back in the day was Dreamboat. 

I liked this sweet little story, and, honestly, Clifton Webb has such a marvelous voice. I loved when he recited Shakespeare at the beginning.

Roxie Hart (1942)


The name on everybody's lips is gonna be..Roxie! I was so obsessed with the movie musical Chicago as a teenager, and I knew this movie existed, but I'd never gotten around to seeing it until now, and I enjoyed it very much.

Seriously though, I have yet to find a Ginger Rogers movie that I don't like. Wait. Maybe The First Traveling Sales Lady? But I'd have to re-watch it again to determine if I didn't like it.

Service de Luxe (1938)


I have a fondness for Constance Bennett's films because she seemed so sophisticated and glamorous, so I quite enjoyed this one.

The Crystal Ball (1943)

Ray Milland charmingly being a charming lawyer who charmingly relies on Paulette Goddard's phony fortuneteller and charmingly falls in love with her in the process? Yes please!

ALSO WATCHED:

It Happens Every Thursday (1953)
That Certain Feeling (1956)
Pin-Up Girl (1944)
The Mating Season (1951)
Diamond Horseshoe (1945)
The Groom Wore Spurs (1951)
The Amazing Mr. Williams (1939)


Comments