What I Watched in May

An overview of what I watched in May. 

Solomon and Sheba (1959)

These mid-century biblical epics are something else. Literally, they're totally fascinating to me. I love how much spectacle there is, and there's something about the scenery and costuming that just appeals to me. 

A Countess From Hong Kong (1967)


This is a movie I watched. Sophia Loren was in it. Marlon Brando, too. It was a movie. 

We Who Are Young (1940)

gif by me

I love these old women's pictures, there's just enough melodrama for me. I know this couple is dirt poor and deep in debt, but I really loved the overall setting so much. I'd love to live in this version of New York City, in an apartment building with a roof you can eat dinner on, neighbours across the way that you're always hanging out with, etc. 

But also, like... I need to know what lead John Shelton, the male lead, to wind up in a prison in Sri Lanka in the '70s, where he later died. What happened there?!

Gidget Goes Hawaiian (1961)


I mean... this movie made me realize that I want to go to Honolulu and stay at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. But also, these breezy '60s teen movies are just so fun to watch. Not a lot of thought required, fun scenarios. It's not Citizen Kane but it's fun in a different way.

Gidget Goes to Rome (1963)


gif by me
 
Probably my favourite of the Gidget movies, even though there's no surfing in it. Gidget goes to Rome, and the costumes are amazing, and she tries European sophistication, and...Moondoggie's there. I hope they broke up after these movies ended... 

If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium (1969)


gif by me

I went into this movie with zero expectations because the premise is just 'a group of American tourists on a bus tour through Europe', but it was so much better than I anticipated! I loved all the characters and their stories, especially the will-they-won't-they between Samantha and Charlie (Suzanne Pleshette and Ian McShane). I'm going to need to hunt this one down to own for myself. 

Rome Adventure (1962)


gif by me

Be right back, booking a trip to Rome. Also, between this and If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium, I'm enjoying the introduction to Suzanne Pleshette (previously I just knew her from Will & Grace and the four episodes she was on). 

PS. As for you, Troy Donahue...I just... don't get your appeal at all. 

The Little Hut (1957)


Either my DVR acted up or TCM started this movie thirty minutes in, either way, a chunk at the beginning was missing, so I feel like I missed (what would've been) useful context for this story, but even without it, this seemed light and fun, and who doesn't have a shipwreck fantasy? I just hope when/if it happens to me, it's with a big ole pile of books! 

Let's Do It Again (1953)

Singing Ray Milland? Still got it. 

Mirage (1965)

gif by me

I find that some thrillers fall apart as soon as they reveal the twist, but Mirage was great from start to finish. 

The Uninvited (1944)


Ray Milland in a spooky house? Still got it. 

ALSO WATCHED: 

So This is Paris (1926)
The Pumpkin Eater (1964)
At War With the Army (1950)
The Snow Devils (1967)

Comments