Inside Gidget's House

It's June, it's summer, we're almost entirely vaccinated, let's enjoy it! Every Wednesday this month, I'm focusing on the Gidget movies in some way.


gif by me

So, for the first Wednesday with Gidget, let's take a look inside the Lawrence Family's house. 


If you've never seen Gidget, or any of the sequels, it's about a teenager who goes from being square to being a cool surfer chic while hanging out with a surfer gang and mooning over a guy named (Lord help me) Moondoggie. 

Some of the content is outdated and the way the male characters talk to Gidget at times infuriates me, but these are guilty pleasure movies for me. 


Our first glimpse of Gidget's house actually comes from the outside, where her iconic red and white striped bathing suit is on the clothesline. 


And the first room we enter is Gidget's bedroom: a typical teenage girl's bedroom with the floral wallpaper, the light colour scheme, the collage on the wall and the last remaining dolls scattered around the room. 


I'm obsessed with the pink flowers in that blue vase in the hallway. 


Gidget plays the cello, but my favourite part of this angle of the room is the little settee under her window.


The hallway at the Lawrence house is a boring beige, but I love the large plant in the corner. 


Here's a quick glimpse into the dining room, with another huge bouquet of pink flowers in a blue flowerpot. 


We get a peek at the curtains/dividers in this shot, on the right. I love the colours and how they complement the olive of the entryway. 


To quote Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock, "art is paintings of horses," and the Lawrence household knows their art! 


Here's another view of the dining room, with a china cabinet behind Gidget's father.


I love all the accents of blue throughout the house. And the detailing on that cabinet behind Gidget's mother! 


More great curtains. 


Here's a glimpse of Gidget's neighbourhood. Perfectly Mayberry, eh?


And the climbing bushes up against their house. I love it. 


Here's the living room, full of dark wood, books, great curtains and, what looks like a comfy couch. I love the orange throw pillows. 


Another view of the living room area with the knickknacks on the mantle and more books visible. 


It's not a painting of horses, but it's still a nice painting. 


Just tossing this in to remind you that Gidget wants to be a surfer, and this is how she wears down her parents so they'll buy her a surfboard. 


Gidget's record player. 


Her mint green bathroom. I love those types of toothbrush holders, as an aside. 


I love that little kitschy painted beach scene up on the right side of her wall. The sexist frame on the left, though... (It says 'To be a real woman is to bring out the best in a man.')


Another doll on display. 


The '50s version of hanging up Tiger Beat and J-14 posters. Were these guys the pre-cursors for Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonathan Taylor Thomas and the Backstreet Boys? 


Another doll on the right.


Another one on the floor, along with a stuffed panda bear. 


A better view of Gidget's bedroom. She has tonsillitis at this point, so the only way she can practice surfing is by doing it on her bed.  


More dolls! And a cute little skirting around her vanity table. 


The disorganized bookcase...I've been there, Gidget! 


She's got another nice bookcase (and another doll peeping out) right by the window, and it looks like it'd be lovely to curl up there with a good book to read. 


Here's the family's kitchen, the last room we need to see. It's done in browns and blues. 


More blue accents: the tiling and some of the housewares on the counter. Side note: I love the concept of a swinging kitchen door, but I know it'd annoy me in actuality. 


I wish I had a garden. 


A better view of the outside of Gidget's house. 


I love the pop of Gidget's mother's yellow dress against the blue bedroom walls. I also love that little blue lamp. 


One last complete view of the living room area. I love that mantle clock. 


If that armchair were orange, I'd swear it was in my grandmother's house once upon a time. 



THE END! 

I took all the screencaps in this post.

Comments

  1. Does anyone know for sure if the scenes inside the house were actually filmed on location or on a sound stage. The scene where the girls walk out the front door on their manhunt and you can see outside seems to suggest that they were filmed inside the house. However, as a student of architecture, I'd love to know because I would like to draw up a rough floor plan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment