A Preview of TCM's Summer Under the Stars

It's my favourite part of summer: TCM's Summer Under the Stars! 


gif by me

I always look forward to August and the days dedicated to 31 separate stars. It's a balm to the dog days of summer, and I always discover new favourite movies and stars because of it. The past few years, I've made it a goal to watch at least one new-to-me movie each day, and you can chart my progress using the Summer Under the Stars tag
This year's programming starts tomorrow with a day-long tribute to Bette Davis (one of my favourites), so I thought I'd break down the movies and the stars I'm looking forward to most this month. Keep reading! 

FIRST THINGS FIRST... WHO ARE THE STARS? 


In order: Bette Davis, Richard Burton, Kim Novak, Louis Armstrong, Margaret Rutherford, Robert Mitchum, Abbott & Costello, Esther Williams, Kay Francis, George Segal, Kathryn Grayson, Ramon Novarro, Jane Fonda, Gregory Peck, Judy Garland, Robert Young, Gloria Grahame, Robert Redford, Setsuko Hara, Van Heflin, Katharine Hepburn, Tyrone Power, Eve Arden, Maurice Chevalier, Jane Wyman, Tony Randall, Merle Oberon, Lee Marvin, Ingrid Bergman, James Cagney, Fredric March

ANY FAVOURITE STARS HEADING INTO THE MONTH? 


Going into Summer Under the Stars: Bette Davis, Richard Burton, Kim Novak, Esther Williams, Jane Fonda, Gregory Peck, Robert Young, Katharine Hepburn, Jane Wyman, Tony Randall, and Ingrid Bergman.

I'm hoping to add some new names to the list come September. 

WHO ARE NEW TO ME? 


I've only seen a handful of movies by most of the stars featured, but there are only two stars who's totally new to me, and I'm excited to see some of their movies: Ramon Novarro and Setsuko Hara

WHAT'S THE ONE DAY I WON'T MISS? 

You guys know that I love Esther Williams, so I'm especially excited for August 8, which is her 100th birthday! I've seen all of the movies featured that day, but I still plan to park myself on the couch all day. 

I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favourite film airing: Jupiter's Darling, Bathing Beauty, Neptune's Daughter, Duchess of Idaho, Thrill of a Romance and Easy to Love are all magical in my opinion. 

I'd recommend you pick a few frothy aquamusicals and enjoy your day! 

ARE ANY OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIES PLAYING THIS MONTH?


Yes! The Bride Came C.O.D. on Bette Davis Day. 

Bell, Book and Candle on Kim Novak Day. 

High Society on Louis Armstrong Day. 

Basically every movie on Esther Williams Day. 

Any Wednesday and Sunday in New York on Jane Fonda Day. 

Bringing Up Baby, Adam's Rib, and Desk Set on Katharine Hepburn Day. 

Stage Door on Eve Arden Day. 

Boys' Night Out, Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, Send Me No Flowers, The Mating Game and Our Man in Marrakesh on Tony Randall Day. 

WHICH 'NEW' MOVIES AM I MOST EXCITED FOR? 


Jessica (Maurice Chevalier Day) for egotistical reasons. 

I've been slowly discovering Jane Fonda's early work over the past few years, so I'm excited for the movies I haven't seen yet: The Chapman Report and Period of Adjustment, and In the Cool of the Day

There's also something about Robert Young that I love (I think it's his sideways smile), so I'm excited to watch more of his films as well. 

I'm also excited for Jane Wyman's day because there's not a Rock Hudson pairing in sight! That means other films and more chances to see her other work. 

WHO WOULD I HAVE GIVEN A DAY TO, IF I WERE A TCM PROGRAMMER? 


Ginger Rogers, of course! I know she was just featured in 2017, but I digress.

Here's what I'd screen on Ginger Rogers Day: The Major and the Minor, Bachelor Mother, Vivacious Lady, Kitty Foyle, Tom Dick and Harry, Rafter Romance, Romance in Manhattan, Lucky Partners, Tender Comrade, Having Wonderful Time, Carefree, Roberta, Flying Down to Rio

Visit the full Summer Under the Stars schedule here

Comments