What I Watched in June

An overview of what I watched in June, the month I realized that I have a crush on Howard Keel. 

The Long, Long Trailer (1954)


I thought this movie was hilarious. The fact that their names in the movie are Nicky and Tacy (to capitalize on Ricky and Lucy)...meh. 

When a Man Calls (1962)


gif by me

Fun cheese, and man I love Sandra Dee!

Come September (1961)

It's frankly rude that I have no rich beau like Rock Hudson who has an Italian villa to take me away to. 

Ocean's 11 (1960)


I felt cool just watching this movie, to say nothing about how cool I am on a regular basis. 

Jupiter's Darling (1955)


gif by me

I know this didn't hold up critically, but I enjoyed it. I love stories set back in ancient times, and the chemistry between Esther Williams and Howard Keel? Wow. 

The Time Machine (1960)

I loved this movie (the 2002 version was one of my favourite movies in high school; I'd rent and re-rent and re-rent it—instead of, y'know, buying it—and never got tired of it). I loved the storyline here, and how they 'manipulated time' with the visual effects. It ended quite abruptly, but I still enjoyed it. 

Damn Yankees (1958)


gif by me

I made it this far without knowing that Damn Yankees is about an old guy who sells his soul to the devil so he can become a hot young ballplayer to help beat the Yankees. Would I have ever guessed the plot on my own? No. I thought it was a baseball musical, more in the vein of Take Me Out to the Ball Game, and the only bit I knew was Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon's 'Who's Got the Pain?' routine, which I spent the whole movie trying to figure out how it tied in... 

This Time for Keeps (1947)


gif by me

Esther was the highlight for me, but this wasn't one of my favourite of her films. 

The Planet of the Apes (1968)


This must've been a trip to watch back in 1968. I would have loved to have seen this movie before it became so entrenched the zeitgeist that I knew the plot twist before I went to high school.  

Rose Marie (1954)


gif by me

It's so weird seeing Canadian culture depicted on film. Is it surprising that the first major film to do it focused on Mounties and fur trapping and the vast wilderness? No. Also, Rose Marie! You chose the wrong guy! 

Jailhouse Rock (1957)

I didn't enjoy this at all...

The Prodigal (1955)

Lana was the highlight for me. 

Hercules, Samson and Ulysses (1963)


Watched on the one and only day I was like, "I should start watching more sword-and-sandal epics," and then when it was over, I was like, "You know what? Maybe I'm good with the amount of sword-and-sandal epics I already watch," which is near-zero. 

ALSO WATCHED: 

The Road to Hong Kong (1962)
Ghosts - Italian Style (1969)
The Wrecking Crew (1969)
The Hoodlum Saint (1946)
4 For Texas (1963)
Topkapi (1964)
Five Golden Hours (1961)

Comments