What I Watched in April

Me at the beginning of the month: I've yet to watch any movie this year that I think to myself, "I need to own this on DVD and I have to keep it on my DVR until I own it!" and then April happened. 

Anyways, here's an overview of what I watched in April. 
Give a Girl a Break (1953)

I need to own this on DVD like, yesterday. And I need that yellow dress!

Come Fly With Me (1963)


gif by me

Someone build me a time machine and send me back to the early '60s so I can be a flight attendant and have passionate love affairs all over Europe! 

Texas Carnival (1951)


gif by me

Oh, this was super charming and fun. I adored it! Get this for me on DVD, stat!

The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962)


gif by me

I love the pairing of Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton; this was fun (yet problematic for its depictions of Japanese people) and the Hawaiian locales were awesome. 

The Honey Pot (1967)


gif by me

Talk about an all-star cast! Rex Harrison, Susan Hayward, Cliff Roberston, Capucine, Edie Adams...and Maggie. Smith. I loved every second of this movie (save the racist iconography and décor). Make sure you watch this one!

The Belle of New York (1952)


There was almost too much singing and dancing in this one? But the costumes...give them to me!

Don't Go Near the Water (1957)


gif by me

Meh. 

Under the Yum Yum Tree (1963)


gif by me

It was fun to see Jack Lemmon play the cad for once and not the charming, neurotic lead. 

Rich, Young and Pretty (1951)


gif by me

Somebody take me to Paris! I love this charming little Jane Powell musical, and the song 'How D'Ya Like Your Eggs in the Morning' has been stuck in my head for a week. 

Callaway Went Thataway (1951)


gif by me

Came for the Esther Williams cameo, stayed to watch Howard Keel slap Clark Gable on the back like an old pal. 

Teenage Rebel (1956)


gif by me

Oh Ging...

A Summer Place (1959)


Is this the most melodramatic movie ever made? I am obsessed

Good News (1947)

I think I'd watch June Allyson in anything at this point, although it was a bit of a stretch to imagine any of these people as college coeds. Anyways, still light and fun and I need at least 90% of the wardrobe, including that striped dress in the gif above.

The Trouble with Girls (1969)


I stand by past comments that Viva Las Vegas and Blue Hawaii were his only good movies. 

The Joker is Wild (1957)


This movie gave us 'All The Way' and really, if that's the only thing it's got going for it, that's enough. 

Holiday in Mexico (1946)


via jmmycagney

Did Walter Pidgeon ever narrate audiobooks? I'd listen to those... As far as Jane Powell musicals go, it's not up there for me, although the set design is something to behold. 

Fun in Acapulco (1963)


See above review of The Trouble With Girls. And for anyone wondering why I keep watching Elvis movies when I so clearly detest them...what if I'm missing another gem and I just don't know it?? WHAT THEN???

Bullitt (1968)


Whenever I see Steve McQueen I think of how he and Paul Newman were rivals on the set of The Towering Inferno and how they had to specially design the poster so their names were both considered top billing if you read it different ways; and how the lines were nearly matched so neither could be considered the lead... has someone written a book on the making of that movie? Send me a link if so.

Hook, Line and Sinker (1969)


gif by me

Not me enjoying this movie because Jerry Lewis doesn't use that high-pitched voice throughout. If you haven't seen this one, I'd recommend it just for the premise: a man who's been told by his doctor that he's dying maxes out his credit cards, takes on massive debt, and then learns he's not dying. Shenanigans! Peter Lawford! 

Song of the Islands (1942)


gif by me

Movies set in Hawaii are just inherently better than other movies, change my mind.

The Legend of Lylah Crane (1968)


source unknown

WTF even was this movie? I've had this on my DVR since August. Do you know how many times I've started and stopped this since that day? It's only cause I was home from work sick that I decided to finally clear it off my queue. This was terrible. If I were Kim Novak, I'd've retired from acting too!

ALSO WATCHED

Maroc 7 (1967)
The Cool Ones (1967)
Ada (1961)
Panama Hattie (1942)
Hullabaloo (1940)
Hot Spell (1958)
Don't Bet on Love (1933)
Flight to Tangier (1953)
Jungle Blonde (1933)
Ladies Crave Excitement (1933)
Now and Forever (1934)
How to Commit Marriage (1969) — My TV guide literally warned me that there's a scene of Bob Hope golfing with a chimp and yet somehow I still wasn't prepared for it. This movie is totally bonkers.
Invitation (1952)
Kismet (1955) — Oof. Just...oof.
Don't Bet on Blondes (1935)
The Sisters (1938)
Jubilee (1978)

Comments