Inside Jane Osgood's House (It Happened to Jane)

On this day in 1959, a charming movie starring Doris Day and Jack Lemmon premiered, and I'd like to take some time to celebrate it, if I may.


gif by me

That movie is It Happened to Jane, and the plot is bonkers but it works? And it's so charming, and honestly, I love it. I'll save a full run-down of this movie for a separate post, but suffice it to say it involves Doris Day as a lobster supplier taking on the head of the railroad so that she can ship her lobsters across the eastern seaboard. And Jack Lemmon is the awkward, loveable lawyer/best friend who helps her and is secretly in love with her. 

Watch this movie! But first, let's look at the interiors of Jane Osgood's Maine home! 


Honestly, of all the homes and apartments I've featured in this Apartment Therapy tag, Jane Osgood's house is most like the house I grew up in and the houses of my grandparents and friends. Though I've now grown into someone with the aesthetic tastes of an apartment like Doris Day's in Pillow Talk or Kim Novak's apartment in Boys' Night Out, this house screams to me. 


And growing up in rural Nova Scotia...that dock with the lobster pound area is a very familiar site. 


Someday I'd love to own an old television set like this that I can put a flat screen behind the tube and use as my television. I see this all the time on TikTok and it's vaulted to the top of my must-own list. 


I've never watched television with a lobster, but I have watched them wander all over the kitchen floor just before we cook them, so I guess you could say I've found my Doris Day connection? 


Honestly just impressed by the framing of this shot where they've got the painting and the lamp (I think that's a lamp, anyways) perfectly reflected in the wall mirror. 


Pretty sure a chair like that used to be in my grandparents' house; and I love the bookcase/armoire over against the wall. 


Jane Osgood's house is a split level, which adds a charm to it. My childhood best friend's house was like this and I always thought it was so glamorous. 


A glimpse of the dining area and the fine plates on display. 


Has anyone ever done a deep dive into why roosters were popular in décor and style in this time period? I'd be interested in reading that. Also love that pink vase and the light fixture. 


Living for the pattern on the chair Jane Osgood's sitting on. Also, obligatory telephone sighting, because I love a good rotary phone. 


Another angle of the living room, with the fireplace on display. 


Jane's partially standing in front of it, but my grandparents had a hanging shelf like that and it had miniature knick-knacks on it, like a mini-globe, a mini-table, and other mini-ephemera that I always loved studying whenever I visited. 


Honestly, the clutter and the mixture of styles is such an East Coast thing to do. Maine and Nova Scotia are likely interchangeable at their cores, so this is emblematic of the houses I grew up visiting. 


Love that front door, but my favourite part of the house is about to appear... 


The kitchen!


It's just so homey and familiar. Prepare for a photo dump:



My grandparents had fake fruit as well and the kiwi always grossed me out but I loved rearranging the other pieces. 


One of the items on my Christmas list last year was a bread box. Guess I'll have to ask Santa all over again... 


Decorative plates on the wall? Definite part of my childhood. 


I've yet to mention the curtains, but I love that pattern!


Back to the living room briefly. Give me those lamps as well!


Here's a glimpse of the exterior of Jane Osgood's house, this time from the front door. Typical Maine house. 


This screencap is just because I paused at the perfect moment, but it's also another glimpse of that perfect kitchen! 

And that's the interior of Jane Osgood's house from It Happened to Jane. Spoiler alert: the 'it' is love. Please watch this movie and report back to me!

_


Comments