Judy Garland June

If anybody truly had it back in Old Hollywood, it was certainly Judy Garland, who could convey more than most actors with a simple vocal inflection. 

June was the 100th anniversary of her birth, so TCM decided to make her the Star of the Month, and what a treat it's been to watch a few of her movies that I'd never seen before. 


Here are all the new-to-me Judy Garland movies I watched this month. 
Presenting Lily Mars (1943)


This was billed as a sort-of "screwy" comedy and it never felt like that; Judy showed too much heart as a young woman with a phenomenal voice who just wants a chance.

And as an added bonus, Van Heflin's in this! 

For Me and My Gal (1942)


Another great showcase for Judy's voice and acting skills. I loved this one, where Judy plays opposite Gene Kelly (in his film debut!) as a touring vaudeville act whose love story is complicated by World War I and Gene's reluctance to take up the draft (which seems like a very bold storyline to give a man at the height of World War II when everything was about patriotism and showing up for your country, especially in America).

Anyways, the ending was lovely (as was the whole movie).

Ziegfeld Girl (1941)


Fascinating! The Ziegfeld Follies are such an interesting subject, and I love a good backstage musical. This might be the new tops for me!

Babes in Arms (1939)


Cute enough musical but the blackface tanks it towards the end. And this might be an unpopular opinion, but I cannot stand Mickey Rooney. How was this man one of Hollywood's biggest box office draws and Lotharios? Someone explain in the comments.  

Everybody Sing (1938)


Anything could've gotten you expelled back in the day, eh? Even singing a classical music piece with a jazz swing, like Judy in this kinda forgettable movie...

The Clock (1945)


Imagine marrying a man you'd known for less than 48 hours? Did it really happen as often as movies lead me to belieeve or were courtships normally longer. 

Till the Clouds Roll By (1946)


Not normally a fan of these old biopics but I do love seeing the constellation of MGM musical stars take the stage at various points throughout the movie to sing the standards of Jerome Kern.

Gay Purr-ee (1962)


A movie that, when I looked it up, made me go, "I beg your pardon?!" Anyways, it was cute enough but I'm going to have nightmares about those shadow cats that work with Meowrice, and for that reason I'm glad I never saw this as a kid. I still have lingering terror from those robot dogs from Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
___

Did you watch any new-to-you Judy Garland movies in June? What was your favourite? Let me know in the comments! 

Comments