A Preview of TCM's Summer Under the Stars

It's almost time for Summer Under the Stars! 

Happy Summer Under the Stars month to all who celebrate!


gif by me


FIRST THINGS FIRST...WHO ARE THE STARS? 

In order: Elvis Presley, Jean Arthur, Sidney Poitier, Ruth Roman, Orson Welles, Audrey Hepburn, Gene Kelly, Maureen O'Sullivan, William Holden, Greta Garbo, Laurence Harvey, Jane Powell, Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor, Randolph Scott, Raquel Welch, Spencer Tracy, Shelley Winters, Toshirô Mifune, Joan Crawford, Clint Eastwood, Constance Bennett, Mickey Rooney, Jacqueline Bisset, Gilbert Roland, Vivien Leigh, Marilyn Monroe, Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Jack Carson, and Peter Sellers. 

ANY FAVOURITE STARS HEADING INTO THE MONTH? 


Ooh, a few! There's Audrey Hepburn, of course; but I'm also excited for Jean Arthur (I love her screwball comedies), Jane Powell, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Crawford, Constance Bennett, Vivien Leigh, Cary Grant, and Myrna Loy. 

WHO ARE NEW TO ME? 


I've heard of Ruth Roman but I've never seen any of her movies; Toshirô Mifune and Gilbert Roland are totally new to me; and I know both Raquel Welch and Jacqueline Bisset, but I don't believe I've seen any of their movies (aside from Jacqueline in Two for the Road). 

WHAT'S THE ONE DAY I WON'T MISS? 

Even though I've seen all of her movies, Audrey Hepburn Day won't be missed. I'm also looking forward to a day of Jane Powell musicals; and days of comedies by Cary Grant, Jean Arthur and Myrna Loy. 

WHAT DAYS WOULD I LIKE TO SKIP?


At this point I think the universe is mocking me with Elvis Presley Day. There can't be any reason why they'd focus on him... definitely not that big budget biopic that came out at the beginning of summer that they're trying to capitalize on and that I actually really enjoyed despite not wanting to go see it initially or anything... 

I'm also not a big fan of Marilyn Monroe if I'm being honest, so that'll be fun.

Also Clint Eastwood. I can't stand that guy. 

ARE ANY OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIES PLAYING THIS MONTH?

Two for the Road, Roman Holiday, Charade, and How to Steal a Million on Audrey Hepburn Day (though most of the movies on her day are favourites). Network on William Holden Day. Ninotchka on Greta Garbo Day. Rich, Young and Pretty and Hit the Deck on Jane Powell Day. Adam's Rib on Spencer Tracy Day. The Women on Joan Crawford Day. Topper on Constance Bennett Day. His Girl Friday on Cary Grant Day. The Thin Man, I Love You Again, Double Wedding and Libelled Lady on Myrna Loy Day. Romance on the High Seas on Jack Carson Day.

WHICH 'NEW' MOVIES AM I MOST EXCITED FOR? 

The Happy Road and Invitation to the Dance on Gene Kelly Day. Dear Ruth on William Holden Day. Camille and Queen Christina on Greta Garbo Day. Just about every movie I haven't seen on Jane Powell Day (so A Date With Judy, Three Sailors and a Girl, The Girl Most Likely, Small Town Girl, and Enchanted Island). The Prince and the Showgirl on Marilyn Monroe Day. 

WHO WOULD I HAVE GIVEN A DAY TO, IF I WERE A TCM PROGRAMMER?


What do I have to do to get Ray Milland a day at this point? 

Also wouldn't mind a Grace Kelly Day. Or a Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra Day. 

__

What movies are you most excited for? Drop recommendations in the comments!

Visit the full Summer Under the Stars schedule here

Comments