What I Watched in May

I watched so many movies in April and then May hits and what happened? Ay ay ay. I even got sick with COVID this month and played Loki on repeat instead of parking myself on TCM. There was a theme of Busby Berkeley movies and I watched none of them!

Anyways. An overview of what I watched in May. 

Midnight (1939)

Someone out there is living the life of a Claudette Colbert character: carefree, galivanting across Europe having the time of her life, dozens of handsome beaus tossing themselves at her feet; and she's dressed in the best wardrobe Paramount can provide. Why ain't it me? 

Oh, and this movie was fantastic, but then again, most of Claudette's '30s movies are tops for me.

That's Entertainment! (1974)


source unknown

Should've watched this one (and its two 'sequels') a long, long time ago. What a treat! 

The Singing Nun (1966)

Debbie Reynolds is always a treat, but her trying to pull off a Belgian accent made her sound like she was doing an Audrey Hepburn impression the entire time. 

Portrait in Black (1960)

I love me a good '60s melodrama, and this one has it all: murder, intrigue, illicit romance, Lana Turner, and Sandra Dee. 

Algiers (1938)

Me, multiple times throughout this movie, "Where's this set again? Oh right, Algiers."

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)

These sword and sandal epics are a kind of guilty pleasure for me, and Sophia Loren and Christopher Plummer were in it, so what can I say? 

Going Home (1971)


gif by me

This one just bummed me out, honestly. And how does Robert Mitchum play a lousy drunk who kills his wife during a drunken episode in front of his kid and I still don't have sympathy for the kid-now-young adult? When you look up the actor who plays the son, you might find it hard to sympathize too. 

Toys in the Attic (1963)


gif by me

Worth it for the last five minutes or so when Geraldine Page, Wendy Hiller and Dean Martin do more acting than they've done the entire movie and they've been doing the most up until then. Mastery! 

Two on a Guillotine (1965)


gif by me

Bleh.

Ride the High Country (1962)


I enjoyed this one, if only for the last glimpse of Randolph Scott (who retired from movies after this one) and Joel McCrea (whose appeal I don't really get, but it was fascinating to see how his career changed over the years). 

The Great Escape (1963)


source unknown

Interesting, if overly long. 

Easy Come, Easy Go (1967)


gif by me

One'a these months I'll learn my lesson and stop watching Elvis movies, but that month was not May.

King Creole (1958)

See above. 

ALSO WATCHED

Garden on the Moon (1938)
The Proud and Profane (1956)
The Journey (1959)
She-Freak (1967)
It's Love I'm After (1937)
The Gypsy Moths (1969)

Comments