Movies I Wish I Could Watch Again For the First Time

Do you ever look at your list of favourite movies and think to yourself, 'Man, I wish I could experience watching this for the first time all over again?' It's been on my mind lately, so I thought I'd make a list.


Here are all the movies I wish I could watch again for the first time. 

It Happened One Night (1934)


I watched this for the first time in a film class all about narratives, and this was the screwball comedy example. Such a privilege that I first saw this on a big screen. In my opinion, this is a perfect movie, one that I fell in love with on the first watch.

Pillow Talk (1959)


I waited a criminal length of time to watch this movie, considering I owned it for years (as part of a four-pack of DVDs that I just never bothered to watch). But when I first watched it, look out, because I kept re-watching it. So perfect! This introduced me to both Doris Day and Rock Hudson and I'm forever grateful. 

I first watched this on a hot summer night, all the windows of my apartment were wide open, I could hear the cacophony of the city below me, and it added to the experience. I love replicating it when I re-watch, but man, I wish I could go back to that wonder watching this for the first time. 

Man's Favorite Sport? (1964)


Another hot sunny night when I finally sat down to watch this one, and I know (I know) it's just a remake of Bringing Up Baby and that many people consider that to be the superior movie (I would like a chance to debate that, but honestly don't know where I'd land on that spectrum, to be honest), but this is still genuinely so fun. I love to rewatch this one in June, particularly. It gives off June vibes (you have to have movies like that where they feel like they give off particular vibes). 

Tammy and the Bachelor (1957)


This is the movie that made me give Debbie Reynolds a second chance (this is going to be such an unpopular opinion but I didn't love Singin' in the Rain), and I'm so glad I watched it and was introduced to this gem of an actress. 

Tammy and the Bachelor is a light movie with a catchy title track and is the perfect speed for a Sunday afternoon. 

What a Way to Go! (1964)


I didn't know what I thought this movie was going to be, based on the synopsis, but it definitely wasn't what it ended up being, which is a funny romp of a movie with a who's who of my favourite stars: Shirley MacLaine, Paul Newman, Dean Martin, Robert Mitchum, Gene Kelly...

This is fun and frothy and definitely worth a watch.

Artists and Models (1955)


This was my first Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movie and it got me hooked. I was honest to God capital-S SHOCKED to learn that by the time they made Artists and Models not only did they despise each other but they'd all but broken up. Add in Shirley MacLaine and Dorothy Malone, plus the fun concept of artists (and models) and comic books and this is just hilarious viewing. 

Thrill of a Romance (1945)


I wish I could relive the morning I first saw Thrill of a Romance, honestly. A perfectly sunny June morning, breeze blowing in the open patio door, and even though we were still in the scary 'what's coming' part of the pandemic at this point (June 2020), watching this movie made me feel like maybe everything was going to be okay (which is a weird thought considering where we are today). 

Blue Hawaii (1961)


I think the first time I saw this was also the same day I saw Thrill of a Romance for the first time? At the very least, they were both viewings during the same TCM series, History of the Swimsuit (which is still my favourite TCM programming special). This movie made me want to go to Hawaii and tricked me into thinking that Elvis movies were good; but man, it was just what I needed.

How to Steal a Million (1966)


What Audrey Hepburn movies don't I want to watch again for the first time? 

Okay, I thought that would be rhetorical, but my brain immediately thought of The Unforgiven, Green Mansions and War and Peace. Anyways, I'm choosing How to Steal a Million out of all her movies because the plot is fun, the chemistry between her and Peter O'Toole is unreal, and the setting/costumes are perfect. I'm not sure if the first time I ever saw this was on a lazy August afternoon or if that's just one viewing that's stuck out in my memory, but that's what I associate with this movie and it's definitely added to the experience of watching it. 

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)


This is Christmas to me. I have to watch it on Christmas Eve, on NBC, with my dog curled up on my lap, all the lights out save the Christmas tree lights, otherwise it's not Christmas. And I always, always, tear up at the ending: "To my big brother George, the richest man in town." Perfect movie is perfect.

Theodora Goes Wild (1936)


Reserved young woman writes a novel, becomes a cause célèbre, finds love with Melvyn Douglas, becomes a vixen and returns home in scandalous fashion? Where do I sign up to be Theodora? This movie is everything! 

Bringing Up Baby (1938)


This was one of the earliest old movies I ever saw (in terms of starting my journey with classic movies, not in terms of not having seen anything prior to 1938), and I remember it was after Katharine Hepburn died, and I was home sick from school watching TCM for the first time because I didn't realize we got that channel (and having grown up in a rural area with dial-up internet and the net not being widespread at that point, didn't really know how to look up these people), and this was playing. 

This was my introduction to Katharine Hepburn, to Cary Grant, to screwball comedy, and I'm so much richer for it. 

The Sound of Music (1965)


This movie is long summers and cold winter nights, and family and love and like sinking into a good book. Love it, love singing along to it, love everything about it. 
__

What are some movies you wish you could watch again for the first time? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

  1. What a great idea for a post! I enjoyed reading about your choices -- I laughed out loud at Blue Hawaii making you think that Elvis made good movies, I love envisioning your setting while you watched Pillow Talk, and I share the tears you shed every time you watch It's a Wonderful Life. (It also gets me when George and Mary share their first kiss!) The movies I'd love to watch again for the first time are All About Eve (because I'd heard of it for so long before I finally saw it, in a dingy motel room in Bessemer, Alabama), Mildred Pierce (because I was so blown away by everything about it), Gone With the Wind (because I was too young to fully appreciate it as I did with subsequent viewings), and The Women (because along with GWTW, it's my favorite movie and I remember how I fell in love it the very time I saw it).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment