What I Watched in November

An overview of what I watched in November. 

Woman Times Seven (1967)


gif by me

I love Shirley MacLaine and how fearless she's been with her career. This is the second film of hers I've seen filled with vignettes where she really gets to show her range (the other is one of my absolute favouites, What a Way to Go!). In Woman Times Seven, she plays seven different women in seven different versions of love and she nails them all. I need to own this one on DVD!

Looking for Love (1964)


gif by me

Oh my God, so cheesy but I love it so much! Connie Francis plays a woman wanting to be famous but then she develops this invention that keeps women's clothes from wrinkling and she gets famous another way. I'm obsessed.

It Had To Be You (1947)


gif by me

Ginger's fun in this but there's a questionable storyline about an imaginary indigenous person that only she can see who looks exactly like the non-indigenous man she falls in love with that sours it for me. I do love that she got to the altar four times and got cold feet four times though, that's iconic. 

One Sunday Afternoon (1948)


gif by me

A musical version of the Rita Hayworth movie The Strawberry Blonde that's quite fun but doesn't live up to the original, in my opinion.

Eve Knew Her Apples (1945)


gif by me

It Happened One Night is a perfect movie, why on earth would you do a musical remake?!

Honolulu (1939)


gif by me

It's always a treat to see Robert Young in a romantic comedy, and Eleanor Powell's tap dancing is unmatched. Plus, as we've learned through the contents of this blog, movies set in Hawaii are just inherently better

We're Not Dressing (1934)


gif by me

We were robbed of a long, lovely career from Carole Lombard and I'll never get over what could have been.

The April Fools (1969)


Jack Lemmon plus Catherine Deneuve plus Myrna Loy plus Peter Lawford? It's like this movie was made in a lab to tick all of my boxes.

The Swinger (1966)


gif by me

The premise is goofy but I love it so much. Ann-Margret's character wants to be a famous writer but all of her attempts get rejected, so she writes the steamiest novel she can think up and begins living out the adventures she's writing about. 

Kiss Them For Me (1957)


gif by me

Surprisingly tender! I thought this was going to be a madcap comedy just based on the IMDb logline. 

Who's Got the Action? (1962)


gif by me

New instant favourite for me. I must own this on DVD! Dean Martin is always fun to watch (I prefer him without Jerry Lewis, not sure how controversial of an opinion this is) and Lana Turner is a chameleon. I especially love her '60s comedies. 

Three For the Show (1955)


gif by me

Imagine being married to Jack Lemmon, thinking he was dead and then re-marrying and then not being able to definitively make up your mind to go back to him once he returns from where he'd been. Cause I can't! This was very charming, by the way. 

Harper (1966)


gif by me

Why is everyone attached to this movie so cool? Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall, Shelley Winters, Janet Leigh... 

ALSO WATCHED:

Mother is a Freshman (1949)
Kiss and Make-Up (1934)
They All Kissed the Bride (1942)
A Very Special Favor (1965)
The Bride Walks Out (1936)
Week-End Marriage (1932)
I Can Get It For You Wholesale (1951)
Love is a Ball (1963)
The Ballad of Josie (1967)
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)

Comments