Jane Fonda's Oscar Outfit

Jane Fonda has always been on the forefront of celebrity activism, including the night she won her first Oscar for Klute in 1972. 


gif by me

The Oscars that year weren't held long after Jane's controversial trip to Vietnam where she'd been dubbed 'Hanoi Jane' and her activism wasn't going to clash with the glamour of Oscar night. In fact, she insisted that she wasn't going to dress up at all, nor was she going to dress up for any man, at a time of upheaval both in Vietnam and at home with women's liberation on the front pages.

Jane arrived at the Oscars on April 10, 1972, in a black pantsuit designed by Yves Saint Laurent that she'd purchased off the rack. The Julien's Auction description of the outfit is: "A wool bodice jacket with band collar, and a silk self tie belt and a pair of trousers. A Yves Saint Laurent couture label is present in the jacket."

Explaining her decision for the sombre black pantsuit, Jane would say: "I bought this Yves Saint Laurent suit right after I gave birth to my daughter in 1968. I decided to wear it to the Oscars when I won for Klute because I felt it suited the somber times. Besides, I wasn't into buying fancy dresses when the Vietnam war was still being fought."

Her appearance was so controversial, her politics so outspoken, that many feared what Jane would say if she won. When Walter Matthau announced her name over the likes of Julie Christie, Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave and Janet Suzman, she quickly made her way to the stage and gave a short, succinct speech.

"Thank you. Thank you very much, members of the Academy. And thank all of you who applauded. There's a great deal to say and I'm not going to say it tonight. I would just like to really thank you very much."

In 2016, this iconic protest outfit sold for $21,875 at auction.

Comments