Checking In: Did I Complete My 2023 New Year's Resolutions?

Let's see how I made out with my 2023 Classic Movie New Year's Resolutions, eh?

My 2023 Classic Movie New Year's Resolutions, A Check In:

Finish Debbie Reynolds's filmography

 
Check and mate! Read my reviews of everything Debbie here

Finish Shirley MacLaine's filmography


I started this one way too late in the year (read: November 5th). I had 10 left by then, and now, at the end of the year, I have eight left. Oh well, something to plug away at in 2024!

Watch 10 silent films


Half of them were Marion Davies movies since she was the TCM Star of the Month in January, then the rest of them became movies due to another resolution further down: to watch one movie from every year between 1920-1969. 

My method for choosing the films? Unless they were Marion Davies movies, which I just wanted to watch all of, I did a very scientific method of "This movie title sounds interesting, let me read the plot line."

Pick a random actor or actress I've never heard of and watch a few of their movies.


I was leaning towards Adrienne Ames when I wrote out these resolutions, but I didn't stick with her. Then I kinda did this with Ruth Chatterton? I don't know if either qualify as a win, but cumulatively, I guess? 

Watch one movie from every year between 1920 and 1969.


You know what wasn't surprising? Having most of the 1920s left to watch at the end of the year. You know what was surprising? Having 1954, when I'm a self-described mid-century fanatic, left to watch. Thanks, Ginge, you got me to the finish line! 

I'm not going to bother listing all the movies that could qualify for this resolution (the gif is of Arise, My Love from 1940), instead you can view the full list of movies I watched this year here and maybe find recommendations of your own. 

Comments