What I Watched in December

An overview of what I watched in December.

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)

I couldn't believe I hadn't watched this already. I certainly know the 'We're in the Money' song and dance from the beginning. Thank goodness for a 'Gold Diggers' themed night on TCM a few weeks ago, because I got to see a bunch of them. I think this is my favourite of the lot! Except Dick Powell, my nemesis. 

Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935)


gif by me

I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief that Dick Powell lands not one but two 'gold diggers?' Why did he leave poor Ruby Keeler from the last one? (I don't care that he's playing a different character this time. They should have stopped casting him in things.) I also love seeing Gloria Stuart in movies, but I have to confess, I spend a lot of time trying to find Kate Winslet in her face... 

Gold Diggers in Paris (1938)


gif by me

Bonus points for not including Dick Powell. Love the Parisian backdrop and the play on mistaken identities. These 'Gold Digger' movies are gems, how have I never watched them before?!

A Trip to the Moon (1902)

This felt like such an immense privilege to watch. How revolutionary this must have been at the turn of the last century... imagine not knowing what was coming next in films. What an honour to watch this. 

Female (1933)


gif by me

Loved the premise...until this high-power female exec binned it all for George Brent of all people. 

Grumpy Old Men (1993)


gif by me

I'd watch Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau read the phone book for two hours. This was a delight. And Ann-Margret is still so gorgeous!

Babes in Toyland (1961)

It's always so jarring when I see the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion or the Scarecrow in other movies... 

Danger: Love at Work (1937)

It's always so jarring when I see the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion or the Scarecrow in other movies... 

Josette (1938)


gif by me

It's always so jarring when I see the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion or the Scarecrow in other movies... 

History Is Made at Night (1937)

You blink with this one and the genre changes: romance, comedy, drama, disaster, melodrama... 

Platinum Blonde (1931)

Always a treat to see Jean Harlow on screen.

The Fuller Brush Girl (1950)


gif by me

This one's been on my watchlist forever, so yay me! Loved it!

Never Say Goodbye (1946)

This was actually pretty sweet, all told. 

Angel (1937)


gif by me

Yawn.

ALSO WATCHED:

I Live for Love (1935)
Going Highbrow (1935)
High Voltage (1929)
Love on Toast (1937)
Get that Venus (1933)
Dinner at the Ritz (1937)

Comments