The Movies I Can't Delete From My DVR

I'm sure a lot of us are parking ourselves in front of the television this week (we've earned it after the year we've had!) and indulging in our favourite movies. Some of mine I don't own on DVD yet, so I've saved them on my DVR, in some cases for over two years now. 

Here are the movies I can't delete from my DVR: 

Romance on the High Seas (1948)


How awesome would it be to walk into a travel agency and get roped into posing as another woman on a cruise through South America for a woman convinced her husband is cheating? Free vacation! I'm available, if needed, and I don't get seasick!

Christmas in Connecticut (1945)


This is a Christmas classic, of course it's on my DVR!

A Letter to Three Wives (1948)


Which one of ya's being jilted? Even though it's on my DVR, it's been a while since I watched it and I legit can't remember which one it is... It's a good 'whodunnit' though! 

Designing Woman (1957)


Lauren Bacall and Gregory Peck are just so stylish, and this movie is so sleek. This is why I love mid-century movies. 

Sunday in New York (1964)


via tumblr, source unknown

Listen, what I wouldn't give to spend a Sunday in New York... even if the thought of traveling or getting closer than six feet to anyone not in my bubble makes me feel a little squicky. 

Artists and Models (1955)


It's zany, it's kooky and it's supplemented by Shirley MacLaine and Dorothy Malone, which is always fun. 

Light in the Piazza (1962)


gif by me

Gorgeous shots of Italy, Olivia de Havilland and Yvette Mimieux? I love it. 

Princess O'Rourke (1943)


The princess life isn't a glamorous one, but Olivia de Havilland makes it charming, at least. 

The Opposite Sex (1956)


You say The Women is a classic of the genre that should have never been remade, and that the remake can't hold a candle to the original, and I say "Yes, of course, but The Opposite Sex is also just a very gorgeous spectacle and Joan Collins does catty so well." 

Easy to Wed (1946)


I'm here for any Esther Williams movie, let's be honest. 

Move Over Darling (1963)


Another remake, but so fun because of the chemistry and comedic timing of Doris Day and James Garner. I especially love the call-back joke about Irene Dunne, who starred in the original, My Favorite Wife.

Ellen (pretending to be a masseuse): When I was a little girl in Sweden, I went once to the movies. Poor Cary Grant thought his first wife was dead so he married another lady. But Irene Dunne, who was the first wife, she come back.
Bianca: Movies. When do movies ever reflect real life?
Ellen: Ja. But suppose Mr. Arden's first wife was to come back like Irene Dunne done...did.

Cover Girl (1944)

I saw clips of this movie in gif form long before I ever saw the whole thing (on Rita Hayworth Day during this year's Summer Under the Stars), and it held up (and then some!) when I finally got a chance to watch it. 

Fashions of 1934 (1934)

I love the fashions in this movie, and the rare light performance from melodramatic queen Bette Davis. 

Made in Paris (1966) 


I remember being so impressed with Ann-Margret when I first watched this, and for a different kind of view of Paris; but being less than impressed with either of the leading men and their sexist attitudes, but I still really enjoyed it!

Queen of Outer Space (1958)


gif by me

I'm pretty sure this is my new favourite movie. It's so bad it's good. Somebody get me to Venus, I could so rock one of the mustard yellow guard dresses. 

Theodora Goes Wild (1936)


There are so many twists and turns and laughs in this screwball comedy, and you can't go wrong with Irene Dunne or Melvyn Douglas. 

Twentieth Century (1934)


Do I want to watch Carole Lombard and John Barrymore scream at each other on the most famous train in history? I sure do! 

That Touch of Mink (1962)


I went ape for this movie a few weeks ago on TCM (mostly over the automat, if I'm being honest). It's a fun, if light, sex comedy that I'd happily watch over and over (mostly for the automat, if I'm being honest).

___

What's on your DVR? What can't you delete? 

Comments