What I Watched in November

An overview of what I watched in November. 

That Touch of Mink (1962)

If you follow me on Twitter, you might've seen my copious tweets about the automat side plot (I'm obsessed with automats) and assumed that I didn't like this Doris Day comedy, and you'd be wrong! I thought this was a cute story, though it has nothing on the Doris Day/Rock Hudson trifecta of films. 

Dead Ringer (1964)

This felt familiar, in a sense, because Bette'd already done a movie where she played identical twins with nefarious results, but I liked this story and watching...Bette's scheme unravel was so melodramatic.

The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963)


gif by me

That goldfish scene, man... 

Tammy Tell Me True (1961)


gif by me

Okay, Pete would never go off to agricultural college and ghost Tammy, so this whole movie is based on a lie; and this angry blurb is brought to you by someone who considers Tammy and the Bachelor one of her favourite movies. 

Gentlemen Marry Brunettes (1955)

I loved the Jazz Age flashbacks, but other than that... Gentlemen Prefer Blondes this ain't. 

I Love Melvin (1953)


source unknown

I love Melvin, too! 

The Trouble with Harry (1955)


I mean... imagine coming upon a dead body and NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. Maybe it's a sign of the times we live in, but I just can't imagine being that reckless. 

Bells Are Ringing (1960)

via tumblr, source unknown

I'm going to have to watch this one again, I think. I had higher hopes, but I hope I was wrong. 

Torn Curtain (1966)


via tumblr, source unknown

I can't say I blame Julie Andrews: if my options were go home alone or follow Paul Newman behind the Iron Curtain, I'd also follow Paul Newman behind the Iron Curtain. 

Mr. Skeffington (1944)

Oh Bette, you melodramatic diva! I love it when you play vain society women who get what's coming to them in the last few minutes. Also, very similar, in a way, to Old Acquaintances, which is another great Bette Davis movie. 

ALSO WATCHED

Dancing Co-Ed (1939)
Penthouse (1933)
*Keeping Company (1940)
Love on the Run (1936)
That Uncertain Feeling (1941)
The Beast of the City (1932)
The Citadel (1938)
The Bride Wore Red (1937)
Frenchman's Creek (1944)
Torch Song (1953)

*This was a good enough movie, but I have to point out that the leading man's Wikipedia entry notes that he died in a prison in Sri Lanka in 1972 under mysterious circumstances, and boy am I intrigued!

Comments