Friday '55: All That Heaven Allows

From 1955, one of my favourite Rock Hudson films: All That Heaven Allows


via tumblr, source unknown

All That Heaven Allows

"An upper-class widow falls in love with a much younger, down-to-earth nurseryman, much to the disapproval of her children and criticism of her country club peers."

Starring: Jane Wyman, Rock Hudson, Agnes Moorehead

Thoughts: I adore this movie. With Douglas Sirk's perfect direction and staging, the incomparable chemistry between Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson, and a beautifully simple love story, it's a great film to immerse yourself in. 

The only thing I hate about this film is Jane's children, who disapprove of their mother dating a younger man, and seem content to force her to break up with him, shut her in the house to live as a recluse, and then make their plans for their own lives far, far away from their mother. As I like to say, if anyone tried to talk me into walking away from a guy that looked like Rock Hudson, I'd reply: "Watch me walk away. Watch me walk away straight up this aisle towards him."

Comments