A Crash Course on Debbie Reynolds

Ahead of Debbie Reynolds' headlining week as Star of the Month, I'm here with a crash course on what to watch and what to avoid; why my picks are great and maybe even why some of the duds are worth watching. 


gif by me

Since 31 Days of Oscars spanned mid-February to mid-March this year, it meant that regular TCM programming features have been condensed into week-long runs; and that Debbie Reynolds will get this week as Star of the Month. Plus, if you've hung around here at all, you know how much I adore Debbie Reynolds.

I have to personally admit that I wasn't a fan of this 'February 10 to March 10' schedule, but until they ask me to program I'll live with it. But no matter, let's get talking all things Debbie. Onward!

I'm going to break this down day by day, and keep in mind that I'm operating off of TCM's Canadian schedule (which sometimes doesn't match the US version, you lucky jackrabbits who get to watch Bringing Up Baby and The Thin Man any time it's scheduled...).

Monday

gif by me

Singin in the Rain
Three Little Words
Two Weeks With Love
Mr. Imperium
The Daughter of Rosie O'Grady

We're starting at the very beginning (a very good place to start), so all five of these films came out between 1950 and 1952. 

If I'm being honest, I'm not a huge fan of any of these ones, but they all cemented Debbie's acting and singing skills, so there's a great amount of foundation laid tonight. I frankly forgot that Debbie's even in Mr. Imperium; Two Weeks With Love, The Daughter of Rosie O'Grady and Three Little Words are all typical mid-century musical fare; and Singin' in the Rain is Singin' in the Rain

Must Watch: Two Weeks With Love
Duh: Singin' in the Rain
Skip It If You Want: Mr. Imperium

Tuesday


gif by me

The Catered Affair
The Affairs of Dobie Gillis
I Love Melvin
Give a Girl a Break
Hit the Deck
Athena

Now we're getting more my speed! This chunk of movies is where Debbie really starts to come into her own. She's not just the perky, young redheaded sidekick who can sing and dance, her character drives the plot. 

If you've spent any time here, you'll know how much I love Athena (read more here). It's bizarre and kooky and it also stars Jane Powell, plus it was an idea by Esther Williams (so much backstage gossip into the making of this one, I might do a post on it soon). 

The Catered Affair is a heartfelt drama where Debbie and Rod Taylor are a young engaged couple dealing with an overbearing mother (Bette Davis) and a longsuffering husband (Ernest Borgnine) that never falls into caricature or maudlin. Truly, you should watch it. Hit the Deck and Give a Girl a Break are both mid-century musicals where three dancing/singing dames star, and they're both phenomenal, but I think I might give the edge to Hit the Deck purely for Jane Powell and Ann Miller.

If you need one to skip, I'd go with The Affairs of Dobie Gillis, but know that brighter films are still ahead!

Must Watch: Athena
Duh: Hit the Deck
Skip It If You Want: The Affairs of Dobie Gillis

Wednesday


source unknown

Tammy and the Bachelor
The Mating Game
The Tender Trap
Bundle of Joy
This Happy Feeling
Susan Slept Here

Kittens, I might have to pull an all-nighter because this is my favourite night of programming. Tammy and the Bachelor, The Mating Game, The Tender Trap, and Bundle of Joy are all in my list of favourite movies (I think I'd rank them Tammy and the Bachelor first, Bundle of Joy, and then The Tender Trap and The Mating Game interchangeable). Susan Slept Here has a bonkers plot, but the set design is *chef's kiss*. Out of these, This Happy Feeling is the only one I'd skip, but still! 

This is Debbie at her best. She's young and vivacious, she's the starlet, her wardrobe is enviable, her co-stars (save Dick Powell) are perfectly matched. If you love Debbie but you also love (this may sound weird but hear me out) bright colours, fashion, jazzy soundtracks, tender romances and the kind of comedy she could pull off, this night is for you!

Must Watch: ALL OF THEM
Duh: ALL OF THEM
Skip It If You Want: DON'T YOU DARE (...but out of these, This Happy Feeling)

Thursday


gif by me

The Rat Race
Goodbye Charlie
The Gazebo
It Started With a Kiss
Mary, Mary
How Sweet It Is!

The scream that I scrumpt when I saw The Rat Race was on the schedule and that it was playing in Canada! For context, I watched this on Silver Screen Classics way back in 2020 and loved it, but this was before I saved the movies on my DVR I really wanted to be able to watch again until I could find them on DVD. Alas, if it's available to buy in physical form, I've yet to stumble across it (link in the comments if you know of where I can find it!), and it hasn't been on Silver Screen Classics since! I'd just about resigned myself to never seeing this again and here it is!

The Rat Race is a tender love story and drama framed by two young people who so desperately want to have their big breaks. It stars Debbie and Tony Curtis; I adore it.

I can't give you an opinion on Mary, Mary since I remember none of it. According to IMDb it's about a couple that breaks up and needs to meet over tax stuff? Honestly, if you want a Debbie Reynolds movie where taxes play a prominent plot device, watch The Mating Game on Wednesday. 

Goodbye Charlie is fun in that Debbie totally commits to playing a dead man possessing her body, where she goes head-to-head with Tony Curtis and Walter Matthau. The Gazebo and It Started With a Kiss both star Glenn Ford as the male lead; the former is more dramatic, the latter more romantic (and it's set in set in Spain). They're both good. How Sweet It Is! is screwbally, starring Debbie and James Garner as a couple trying to keep the romance alive. It's also late '60s enough that hippies and long-haired youths play a role. 

Must Watch: The Rat Race
Duh: It Started With a Kiss
Skip It If You Want: Mary, Mary

Friday


gif by me

The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Divorce American Style
What's the Matter With Helen?
The Second Time Around
How the West Was Won
The Singing Nun

We're wrapping up with her later films, from the mid-'60s to the mid-'70s. Honestly, this evening is hit-or-miss in terms of programming. For example, there's The Unsinkable Molly Brown, which garnered Debbie her only Oscar nomination, which you should watch, but then there's The Singing Nun, which is good...enough, if not sweet enough to give you a toothache. 

What's the Matter With Helen?...the first time I watched this was at like, 2am, and it fucked me up. (It's not scary, I'm just a wuss, but if old horrors scare you, here's your warning). The Second Time Around was a snooze; Divorce American Style is fun; and How the West Was Won is just another mid-century epic with an all-star cast. Do with this what you will!

Must Watch: Divorce American Style
Duh: The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Skip It If You Want: The Second Time Around

___

What movies are you most excited for? Let me know in the comments!

Comments