Checking In: Did I Complete My 2021 New Year’s Resolutions?

Let's see how I made out with my 2021 Classic Movie New Year's Resolutions, eh?

My 2021 Classic Movie New Year's Resolutions, A Check In:

Watch five westerns. I hate westerns, but I want to give them a chance! 


gif by me

Complete! The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Texas Across the River, 4 For Texas, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Pocket Money. Something I've learned to appreciate about westerns is how sprawling they are both in terms of story and setting. I think I may have to seek out more westerns in 2022. 

I've only ever seen The Thin Man in that long-running series, so I need to watch the rest of them. I adore Myrna Loy and William Powell, both together and separately, so I'm not sure why I've dragged my heels on this one. 


Nope. I got the second one finished but...I didn't really enjoy it so I don't really want to finish them. Sorry if anyone out there is a Thin Man stan!

Finish out Doris Day's filmography. I only need to see 14 more movies to complete this goal.


Just about, I only have three left and it turns out Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? is nigh-on impossible to find... 

I'd like to thank TCM for helping me complete this goal. Doris was Star of the Month in March and this made it easy to watch some of the movies on my to-see list including Lullaby of Broadway, The West Point Story, Billy Rose's Jumbo, I'll See You in My Dreams, Love Me or Leave Me, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, Young Man With a Horn, and The Man Who Knew Too Much

Teacher's Pet and It Happened to Jane both came on other TV stations or streaming services, and I found Caprice and Do Not Disturb online. That just leaves me with Young at Heart, which is available at my local library; The Ballad of Josie, which I've found online; and the elusive Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?, but I've heard that it's not that good, so I'm not holding my breath here...

Learn the difference between Jeanne Crain and Jean Simmons; and Ann Sothern, Ann Rutherford, and Ann Blyth (by sourcing out their movies). If you offered me $1 million to positively ID all of them, I would (maybe) only correctly guess Ann Rutherford.


In the sense that I now know who Jean Simmons is, definitively, because she's been in a few movies I watched this year. Ditto Ann Blyth and Ann Sothern. I already vaguely knew who Ann Rutherford is. Sorry, Jeanne Crain. I still wouldn't be able to identify you in a line-up.

Finish out the 'AFI 100 Years...100 Passions' list. I'm at 77/100.

I specifically picked this one in the name of being ambitious. I'm sill at 77/100... 

Start re-watching the movies that won Best Actress at the Oscars. It's been years since I've seen a lot of them, and I'd like to see if my initial thoughts have held up now that I'm more seriously interested in old movies. I used to keep a review area on my old blog, so I'd like to update my thoughts with a new review area here. 


I was kinder? To myself with this one? Because I only said 'start' and not 'finish.' I did re-watch a few of the Best Actress-winning movies, but not even to make any real movement with that goal of updating my thoughts on them. 

Some of the ones I re-watched include Morning Glory (Katharine Hepburn), Johnny Belinda (Jane Wyman), The Country Girl (Grace Kelly), and The Lion in Winter (Katharine Hepburn).

Watch at least 20 new-to-me movies during TCM's 31 Days of Oscar.


Ha. God, what a high number. I watched The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, The Night of the Iguana, A Guy Named Joe, and Possessed. But I think part of the fun of 31 Days of Oscar is revisiting the 'greats.' 

Try a few old Hollywood recipes (I've found Natalie Wood's recipe for huevos rancheros, and I'm intrigued!).

I did this one! I tried a Doris Day cake, a Newman's Own casserole recipe, and Natalie Woods's stroganoff. Maybe 2022 is my time for Natalie Woods's huevos rancheros... 

Watch all of the movies on TCM for a Star of the Month this year. Miriam Hopkins is an actress I'm starting to appreciate more and more, so one may be completed by the end of January!

I tried with Miriam Hopkins, but alas. 

I think the closest I got was Doris Day's month, but not all of her films were available in Canada (namely It Happened to Jane, which I had to watch on streaming), so does it still count? I'd either watched all the new-to-me movies or had previously seen them all. Y'know what? I'm calling it a win. 

Watch more '60s comedies. 

gif by me

Check! So far, 79 movies I watched this year were '60s films, and though not all of them were comedies, most of them were. 

Highlights include: Boys' Night Out, Marriage on the Rocks, How Sweet It Is!, Tammy and the Doctor, If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium, Gidget Goes Hawaiian, Gidget Goes to Rome, Ocean's 11, Come September, If a Man Answers, Kiss Me, Stupid, Jessica, Robin and the 7 Hoods, and Come Blow Your Horn

Comments