The Movies I Can't Delete From My DVR: Part II

What a year, Lemon. I'm feeling better this time around, simply for the fact that I'm fully vaccinated and there's a clearer end in sight (however far away it is and however many times the goalposts move). But it's still a great season to sit back and relax and reflect and nosh. 

And I want to start a tradition here by sharing a list of movies I fell in love with over the year, to the point that I can't bring myself to delete them from my DVR until I get around to buying them from the TCM Shop. I bought Boys' Night Out almost immediately after watching it on TCM back in the spring. Gimme that apartment! 

So, in the spirit of tradition and using this week to laze around and watch the movies and shows I enjoy, here are the movies I can't delete from my DVR Part II (Read Part I from last year here, all of which are still on my DVR because I have yet to buy them as well!):

Seven Sweethearts (1942)

gif by me

Gosh, this was a lovely little 'fairy tale' I stumbled upon on either Kathryn Grayson or Van Heflin's Summer Under the Stars day in August. It's so charming and delightful; I even find myself rooting for the bad guy in this movie! 

Bundle of Joy (1956)


gif by me

It's rare that a sequel or remake is as good as the original, but even though I adore Bachelor Mother, Bundle of Joy is just as great. Debbie Reynolds, Eddie Fisher, a chic midcentury revamp... it's perfect in its own way. 

Wise Girl (1937)

Man, thank you TCM programmers for putting this one on the schedule during Miriam Hopkins's Star of the Month turn. The ending does kinda fizzle out, but I just love Miriam and when is Ray Milland never not totally charming in these types of romantic comedies? 

Forsaking All Others (1934)

There's just something about the pairing of Joan Crawford and Clark Gable that works, no matter how melodramatic the material. The ending here is what nails it for me. 

The Thrill of It All (1963)

Doris Day being charming in a midcentury comedy? I love this movie, its premise, and their house. Seriously, someone buy me a house that looks like it!

The Mating Game (1959)


gif by me

Basically, if Debbie Reynolds is in it, I'll watch it. The Tony Randall is an added bonus. 

Irene (1940)

Ditto Ray Milland. 

Take Her, She's Mine (1964)


gif by me

I totally fell in love with the premise of this movie (devil-may-care daughter doted upon by overly-protective father who has many wonderful adventures in Paris). 

Gidget (1959)

And Gidget is a new classic. 

Duchess of Idaho (1950)


via tumgir

I never thought I'd love Esther Williams and Van Johnson more than I do in Thrill of a Romance but Duchess of Idaho is a close second. 

Rome Adventure (1962)


gif by me

Listen, I've never been particularly struck on Rome, but watching this movie makes me want to toss it all in and have my own Rome adventure. 

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969)


gif by me

I love movies of this style, and all of the tourists on this bus trip through Europe are hilarious.

Gidget Goes Hawaiian (1961)


gif by me

The movie that made me want to move to Hawaii!

Gidget Goes to Rome (1963)


gif by me

I love this final installment of the Gidget series, if only for Aunt Albertina! 

Jupiter's Darling (1955)


gif by me

This is so out of Esther Williams's wheelhouse in terms of storyline but she sells it (alongside Howard Keel). When she's teaching him how to swim... love it!

Petticoat Fever (1936)

The premise is so totally bonkers (the main guy is shack-wacky because he's been isolated in a cabin in Labrador for about two years before Myrna Loy and fiancé show up) but it works because of Robert Montgomery and Myrna Loy. 

Easy to Love (1953)


gif by me

One of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen. I always consider it a treat to watch, and I'm so bummed that Cypress Gardens doesn't exist in the same way anymore. I looked like an awesome place to visit. 

Lovely to Look At (1952)


gif by me

A musical remake of Roberta, that once again, while paying homage to the original, finds a way to stand on its own with a cast made up of actors I adore: Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Red Skelton and Ann Miller.

Come Blow Your Horn (1963)

Something I've learned about myself this year: I'm a sucker for '50s and '60s Rat Pack movies, whether they're ensemble pictures or the stars striking out on their own. Come Blow Your Horn is just such fun!

___

What's on your DVR that you refuse to delete? 

Comments