A Month of Marion Davies

What a treat it's been this month to watch all kinds of Marion Davies movies. 

As TCM's Star of the Month for January, I've been enjoying this drumfire of Davies films every Tuesday/Wednesday. Mainly because I've been more interested in seeing earlier Hollywood movies these past few months (think silent, think early talkies, think Pre-Code) and Marion was a force in every sense of the word in those early years. 

Watching her career through silent films to talkies has been a pleasure, and I think I've watched more Star of the Month movies this month than ever before (outside of 31 Days of Oscar or Summer Under the Stars programming, naturally). So here are my thoughts on the Marion Davies movies I watched this month!

The Patsy (1928)


gif by me

This was by far by favourite Marion Davies movie this month. Marion is perfect in it, the supporting characters (especially Marie Dressler, whose career was revived by this film) are great, and the story is fun. There's also something special about Marion's talent for mimicry: she successfully aped Lillian Gish, Pola Negri and Mae Murray in an extended sequence of this film. 

Polly of the Circus (1933)


gif by me

I loved this one; I think behind The Patsy this was my second favourite. The story is a little forced and too pious in parts (I hate piety) but Marion and Clark Gable have undeniable chemistry. 

Beverly of Graustark (1926)


gif by me

Your classic lady-pretending-to-be-a-man storyline, with Marion playing the cousin of a European ruler waylaid by a skiing injury; so naturally, she takes his place while he convalesces. Imagine attempting to pull this off in the modern age! 

Show People (1928)


Tongue-in-cheek backstage Hollywood movie? Sign me up! This is one of my favourite sub-genres of film.

Not So Dumb (1930)


I didn't really enjoy this one, but again, couldn't stop watching Marion Davies.

The Florodora Girl (1930)


gif by me

I enjoyed the story behind this one, and Marion's dramatic performance. There's an early bit of Technicolour too, at the end, which is fun. 

The Red Mill (1927)


gif by me

I didn't enjoy this one, it didn't pull my attention. 

Bride's Play (1922)


gif by me

This seems pretty representative of the dramatic films Marion (and especially Hearst) liked to appear in. I didn't enjoy the story that much, but the musical accompaniment was fine.

Going Hollywood (1933)


After two weeks of 1920s Marion, it was interesting, on a superficial level, to see her looks transform to more of a '30s ideal of beauty. Those lined eyes and that platinum blonde hair... 

Five and Ten (1931)


Speaking of chemistry... Alecia Malone said that Marion plucked Leslie Howard out of a list of co-stars to be her leading man in this, and I'm not sure if I'm the problem or what because I've just never been a fan of Leslie Howard's. I don't see what others do. 

Blondie of the Follies (1932)


gif by me

Another melodramatic backstage film, but this time with Robert Montgomery and a Greta Garbo impression!

The Bachelor Father (1931)



When I say that I really only wanted to watch this one because Ray Milland was in it, will you judge me for it? 

When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922)


gif by me

I never need an excuse for a Tudor drama. Marion plays Mary Tudor in this one, the younger sister of Henry VIII (and once Queen of France). 

Page Miss Glory (1935)


gif by me

This was fun and funny, with Marion playing an 'ugly' hotel worker who pretends to be a famous advertising spokeswoman. Dick Powell's in this though, and if you know my thoughts on him, you'll know it took me out of it every time I saw his mug. 

Peg o' My Heart (1933)


Meh. That's all. Just meh.

__

Did you enjoy Marion Davies's turn as Star of the Month? What were your favourite films? Which ones that I didn't see should I see? I think the only ones I'd already seen prior to this were Cain and Mabel and Ever Since Eve... Let me know in the comments!

Comments