My 2023 Classic Movie New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year!

I thought I had a list of doable resolutions last year, but if you read the post you'll find that I woefully missed the mark on a lot of them. But at the same time I want to be ambitious... 

My 2023 Classic Movie New Year's Resolutions:

1. Finish Debbie Reynolds's filmography


I've only got six films to go and the loglines for all of them make them sound great, so this is doable.

2. Finish Shirley MacLaine's filmography


With the caveat that I'm only going to watch what's left between The Trouble With Harry (her first movie) and Terms of Endearment (the movie that won her an Oscar), this is another easy one: I have 12 movies to go with these terms. 

(I love Shirley and all the old Hollywood stars who continued on into the '80s, '90s, and now, but I'm not much interested in watching the modern fare). 

3. Watch 10 silent films


If you thought I didn't watch enough Pre-Code, then let me tell ya about how many silent films I've seen...

4. Pick a random actor or actress I've never heard of and watch a few of their movies


I'm leaning towards Adrienne Ames. She was in a few Carole Lombard movies I watched this year and I was intrigued by her (and her Wikipedia page). 

I love watching early '30s movies and then looking up some of the actors and finding out their careers flourished in the silent era but that by the 'Golden Age' they were long retired. Who were these stars? I want to find out, so I'm wading in with Adrienne Ames. Will update you if she leads me to other stars at the end of the year!

5. Watch one movie from every year between 1920 and 1969


There are more than enough options for this one (and it'll ensure that I watch a couple of silent movies anyways) and it might be fun to see the changes in Hollywood more linearly. No rules on which films I pick, they just have to have been released in that calendar year. 

Comments