What I Watched in December

An overview of what I watched in December.

The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954)

This was so not what I was expecting and now I'm mad at Van Johnson for leaving Elizabeth Taylor out in the snow!

Hilda Crane (1956)

I just adore Jean Simmons and I loved this melodrama, even if it was a little far-fetched in places. 

9 to 5 (1980)

I don't know what took me so long but this was fantastic!

Private Number (1936)


Okay, I get it about Robert Taylor now. I loved him and Loretta Young in this (even Basil Rathbone, who I just wanted to punch), but it was very far-fetched of a story if you ask me. 

Remember the Night (1940)

You mean to tell me there were judges out there who'd let criminals go home with the prosecuting attorneys over Christmas and there were women out there who'd just willingly fall in love with Fred MacMurray? You're asking too much of me, sir...

Flamingo Road (1949)

A surprisingly lack of flamingos in this one, which I admit was part of the draw... 

Primrose Path (1940)

Remember what I said about asking me to believe that women were out there willingly falling in love with Fred MacMurray? Same principle applies to Joel McCrea. Can't see it, refuse to see it.

Suddenly Last Summer (1959)

I was riveted. Katharine, Liz and Monty all together on the screen? Sign me up. 

The Moon is Blue (1953)


gif by me

The only thing I've ever known about The Moon is Blue is from Be Kind, Rewind's excellent video essay on the 1953 Best Actress Oscar race; i.e., that this was scandalous at the time and didn't get approval from the film board, but screened anyways. It's such a good movie (and super tame by modern standards) and Maggie McNamara is phenomenal. I know I'm biased, but Audrey 100% deserved the Oscar for Roman Holiday, but holy cow, Maggie was a great contender!

The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown (1957)


gif by me

Watched this for the title alone and it was fun. I just wish it was in colour so that you could see the fuzzy pink nightgown. 

The Morning After (1986)


gif by me

I don't think this necessarily qualifies as a classic film, but I have a separate set of criteria where films of the '80s, '90s and '00s are concerned: if an Old Hollywood actor continued on into our modern times, like Jane Fonda in this or Ann Miller in Mullholland Drive for example, I'm counting it just on that. 

Anyways, this was fantastic and I'm glad Jane Fonda earned an Oscar nomination for this, she's great in it.

Forever Female (1954)


gif by me

This was my 1,000th movie! Did I pick it intentionally because of Ginger Rogers? Yes. This was great, Ginger and William Holden are in fine form in this comedy about an aging Broadway actress who refuses to play characters in her age group; the only weak link to me was Pat Crowley as the young ingenue. Apparently Paramount wanted Audrey Hepburn but she was unavailable, and there are times in this where you can see the Audrey influence (or maybe I was inventing them) and once I knew the original cast plan, I couldn't see Pat nor Audrey in the role.  

Fanny (1961)

gif by me

I only watched this cause it had Leslie Caron in it and had been nominated for Best Picture because, honestly, it sounded so boring on paper but watching it? My God, I was swept into the story immediately. Charles Boyer blew me away!

ALSO WATCHED: 

Portrait of Jennie (1948)
The Birds and the Bees (1956)
Sinners in the Sun (1932)
From Hell to Heaven (1933)
The Big Show (1961)
Honeymoon Hotel (1964)
Miss Grant Takes Richmond (1949)
Three Hearts for Julia (1943)
Everything Happens at Night (1939)
Carnival Boat (1932)
Young Man of Manhattan (1930)
It Happened on Fifth Avenue (1947)
Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938) - the fact that they made an entire series of movies about dumb ole Andy Hardy behooves me...
Practically Yours (1944)
I Dood It (1943)
Passion Flower (1930)
Meet John Doe (1941)
Guest Wife (1945)
The Silver Cord (1933)
Springtime in the Rockies (1942)
A Night to Remember (1942)
Happy Go Lovely (1951)
No Time For Love (1943) - I need to stop watching movies where Fred MacMurray is the romantic lead...

Comments