My Can't Skip Movies!

You know the movies you see on the television guide, and you're like, "I love that movie!" but you can't explain why? And you almost always drop everything you're doing and watch you them?

I got to thinking about the movies that I always stop to watch if I see them on TV, so today I'm highlighting a handful of them. I don't have coherent or even interesting reasons for most of them, so just bear with me and enjoy: you might find some new movies to watch!

Slap Shot (1977)

Hanging on the Vitaphone | hollywoodmarcia: Slap Shot (1977 ...
via biokam

I think it's the sports? And the grittiness? It's more than likely the silver fox that Paul Newman wound up becoming and the peak hotness of him playing hockey, but whatever. It works, it makes me laugh, and it's very easy to disappear into this world of minor league hockey. 

The Three Faces of Eve (1957)

Tired Tangerine | Old movies, Good movies, Character actor
via tiredtangerine

I love the complexity of the characters and how Joanne Woodward, who won an Oscar for playing Eve White, Eve Black and Jane, switches between them so adeptly. If I see this on the TCM schedule, I immediately make plans to watch it. 

The Group (1966)

jessica walter | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir
via tumgir

The first time I saw The Group, I think it was like, 12:30 am, and I should've gone to bed but it was Friday night and I wasn't tired and I read the plot line and it sounded super interesting. Cut to three hours later, I'm a sobbing mess on my couch, middle of the night, and I've just reached that level of overtiredness that's going to mess with me the next day (I don't remember what time I woke up on Saturday, but the day was pretty much a write-off).

Romance on the High Seas (1948)

What's more fun than screwball-ish comedy aboard a cruise ship, especially when it stars Doris Day in her first film? I love this movie, about a singer who takes the place of a suspicious wife (who's convinced that her husband is cheating on her) on a honeymoon cruise, only to fall in love with the private detective pretending to be the husband (who also is convinced that his wife is cheating on him). 

It Happened One Night (1934)

It Happened One Night never fails to cheer me up, so I usually find the time to watch it whenever it comes on TCM. To me, it's a perfect movie. 

__

What are some of your can't skip movies? Any you'd recommend? Let me know in the comments!

Comments