What I Watched in October

An overview of what I watched in October. 

Queen of Outer Space (1958)


gif by me

Guys. I think this may be my new favourite movie? I don't think I'm joking.

Land of the Pharaohs (1955)


gif by me

These mid-century epics are so fun to watch, even just for the production values if the acting doesn't quite measure up. I loved how they got Joan Collins back in the end, by tricking her into sealing herself in the tomb, but they all resigned themselves to the same fate! Why?!

Old Acquaintance (1943)


Jesus, Bette Davis was amazing. Miriam Hopkins, too. These '40s melodramas are so fun to watch. 

The Public Enemy (1931)

Look, James Cagney is great, when isn't he, but if he ever smashed a grapefruit in my face it'd be the las thing he ever did. That aside, I'm really enjoying discovering his films. He was such a versatile performer. 

Cat People (1942)

I mean, there are worse things than turning into a panther when you're jealous...

The Gazebo (1959)


via tumblr, source unknown

Another great if-only-Hitchcock-had-made-it film that was fun from start to finish. Plus, love Debbie Reynolds! 

The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1961)

This is a warning to anyone who tries to pull this if I'm ever decapitated: I will sing, loudly and off-key, showtunes until you disconnect me. I know this is impossible but the premise still makes me uncomfortable. 

Love Before Breakfast (1936)


Every time I watch a Carole Lombard movie I'm blown away by her talent and so sad for what should've been a long career. 

The Story of Mankind (1957)


This movie just made me realize...how awful we've been throughout history. That tribunal from outer space should've definitely voted to let that Super-H bomb blow us into smithereens. 

Kisses for My President (1964)


gif by me

I'm not a Fred MacMurray fan at all, but I had hopes that this movie, about the first female President, would be like, a little fun? But it wasn't. Good Lord, it was not...

Rough Night in Jericho (1967)


gif by me

Thoughts I had watching this movie:
  • Shot in the leg? In those days? He should be dead in a fortnight.
  • Did George Peppard make a career of carrying drunken women upstairs? First Audrey Hepburn, then Jean Simmons... 
  • Evil Dean Martin character? That's a first! 

ALSO WATCHED

Here Comes the Navy (1934)
Possessed (1931)
Hell's House (1932)
People Will Talk (1951)
Easy Living (1937) - Read blogathon post here!
Biography of a Bachelor Girl (1935)
You Can't Beat Love (1937)
Rachel and the Stranger (1948)
The Girl He Left Behind (1956)
The Winning Team (1952)
Breakfast for Two (1937) - Read thoughts here!
Creature from The Black Lagoon (1954) - Read thoughts here!

Comments