Inside the Long, Long Trailer Trailer

Inspired by Lucille Ball's turn as Star of the Month on TCM, today I want to go inside one of, no wait, the only, trailer I've ever been envious of on screen: inside the Long, Long Trailer trailer. 

Lucy's such a treasure. In an era of trailblazing women, well, she was the one carving the path. We all know her name, her place in history (do we owe modern television to the genius of I Love Lucy? I'd argue yes), and she's just as familiar today as she was when she was the zeitgeist. 

So let's take a look back at one facet of her stardom. This amazing trailer! 


If you've never seen The Long, Long Trailer, it's basically a story of newlyweds who decide to live in a trailer and drive around rather than have the husband Nicky away from the wife Tacy—yes, those names were intentionally chosen because they sound similar to Ricky and Lucy from I Love Lucy—and to save money. 

And, because it's Lucy, that means the entire movie is filled with shenanigans as they drive this magnificent trailer all over the country. 


Where do I get a Bungalette? Kijiji? 


Honestly, I'm sold at the soft butter yellow exterior. 


Our first glimpse at the interior, while it's still a model on the lot. 


I'd wager the kitchen is bigger than the one in my apartment. 


Even the bedroom is sweet! 


So Tacy and Nicky buy it. Note that she's much more enthused than he is? That'll be a recurring plot point, too. 


Once they're married, and note that she's still wearing her wedding dress, it's time to pack up all their belongings, including some Pyrex pieces on the table, and get the show on the road. 


I'm a fan of the water bottle storage system. 


The bedroom's a little cramped, but you can just make out a radio. Love the ribbed/webbed effect on the lamp. 


How quaint! 


Here they are at their first trailer park. It's such a fascinating set up. There's grass and astroturf in front of each trailer, like a little mobile neighbourhood. A nosy neighbour notices that Nicky's carrying Tacy up the steps (you know, over the threshold), and instead of telling her that's what's going on, they invent the excuse that Tacy sprained her ankle... 


...which turns into a thing, in this spartanly decorated living room area. 


And soon it's a whole party in there! 


As much as I say I'd like trailer life and travelling all over, I know I wouldn't be able to deal with the shower/bathroom situation. There's no space! He has to hang his clothes in the shower when it's not in use!


The bedroom is done in tasteful blush pinks and whites, by the way. 


Here's the kitchen in action. Probably not ideal conditions to make soup. 


Here's a view of their kitchen table and soft yellow curtains. 


Another chic trailer park they stay at. 


I love the mythology-inspired lamp behind Nicky. 


And the living area is fancy enough. 


Where do I buy this sheet set? 


A view of the cupboards. 


I'm sorry, I'm just obsessed with the kitchen area! 


The trailer wrecked/overweight because Tacy had the idea to keep a rock from every place they stop so that they can always remember the start of their marriage, and arrange all of them in a path for the walkway up to the door. 


While going up a treacherously steep hill, Whitney Portal Road, basically ruins the interior, and nearly ruins their marriage. Nicky is furious that Tacy didn't get rid of the rock like he'd asked, and now the weight has caused it to tip. He throws them all off the mountain, and the couple are leading towards divorce, but... 

Well, I won't spoil it (for a change). And that's basically the trailer of The Long, Long Trailer

__

I took all the screencaps in this post.

Comments