How I'd React If I Were a Character in a Doris Day Movie

I'm back with another round of my new favourite game, how I'd react as a character in an actress's movies. So far we've done Ginger Rogers and Audrey Hepburn, now it's Doris Day's turn!


So here's how I'd react if I were a character in a Doris Day movie. 

Romance on the High Seas (1948)


What can I say about Romance on the High Seas that hasn't already been said in this post, 'WHY I WANT TO GO ON A CRUISE BUT ONLY IF IT’S THE CRUISE FROM ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS'?

It Happened To Jane (1959)


I grew up in a small fishing town where lobster was the main income, so I've basically already lived as a character in It Happened to Jane. Got out of that small town before I could marry the small town man and have his small town kids, though!

Pillow Talk (1959)


I would change nothing in this movie if I were a character in it. This movie is perfect and so is that apartment.

Lover Come Back (1961)


I work in communications by day but I like to think if I could go back in time, I'd have been a copywriter somewhere on Madison Avenue and live in a glamorous New York City apartment. 

That Touch of Mink (1962)


If I were in That Touch of Mink, I'd never leave the automat. Honestly, I'm obsessed with automats. There'd never be any will-they-won't-they with a Cary Grant-type, cause I'd be too busy going to the bank and getting nickels to use at the automat. 

The Thrill of It All (1963)


I would be a terrible influencer but the chance at being a mid-century spokeswoman? I'd try it. How hard would it be to say something like "You can be sure if it's Westinghouse" and open a refrigerator door? Just don't build a pool in my backyard, I can't swim!

Move Over, Darling (1963)


This would be a short film: I don't have the tools and the knowledge to keep myself alive on a deserted island for years. A week, maybe. A couple of weeks, depending on how easy it is to make fire based on how easy it looks on Survivor. But yeah, I wouldn't make it long enough to be declared legally dead, rescued, and returned home to a now-bigamist husband. Remember me fondly if you ever hear that I've been 'lost' at sea. 

Send Me No Flowers (1964)


I know this was in the era of 'let's just trust the doctors and not question things' but if I got news that my husband was dying, I'd call up the doctor's office. I'd also never move out of that house!

Do Not Disturb (1965)


It would be a dream to live in the English countryside. I just wouldn't adopt a bunch of foxes. Or get drunk in a Parisian antiques store. This movie is something else. 

The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)


Honestly, committing to a bit and trolling it amongst my family and friends is kinda fun, so I could so see myself pretending to be a spy and calling up my dog and pretending I'm passing him messages. 

Caprice (1967)


gif by me

Is beauty espionage still a thing? I'd be down. Call me up, Maybelline! 

Comments